WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

earn your keep, vol i

Two nights ago, I watched the television debut of the broadway cast of Raisin in the Sun (2004), featuring Phylicia Rashad (Mrs. Claire Huxtable ala Cosby Show), Audra McDonald, Sanaa Lathan (Love & Basketball), and Sean P. “Diddy” Combs. Now granted, I missed the first hour of the show, but I’ve seen the classic production with Sidney Poitier -- so I didn't skip a beat -- What struck me the most about the film is Diddy’s manifestation of the soul of the young, troubled black man that we see in every city today as Walter Lee’s character. I could identify with Diddy’s portrayal of Walter Lee, ‘cuz I see the knuckleheads on the corner, at the metro station, around the way. . . Now, don’t get me wrong-- Bellini has witnessed the same arrogance in sistas, too.
So, for the ones not playing their part – this post is all about YOU. . .

If you’re familiar with the playwright, Lorraine Hansberry – she wrote the script for the original screenplay – then you already know that Walter Lee thinks he is owed something. From who? It is unclear. But why? That is unclear too. The answer to that question rests with the audience. Diddy embodied all the swagger coupled with ignorance that typifies our young generation. Why did Walter Lee feel entitled to the money that his Daddy earned to make a better way for his family. Daddy tolled hours from dawn until dusk for 40 years – Walter Lee couldn’t identify with that work ethic – so why the hell did he think he was owed the money? (if ya got answers – enlighten me, ‘cuz Bellini needs to know)

Now, to top of the arrogance and ignorance embodied in Walter Lee, who wouldn’t have been who he was without stupidity. Just a damn dummy! Searching for the pot ol’ gold and just gives it to the damn leprechaun! Who are you Walter Lee? (Mrs. Younger had to give him the quick history lesson and inform him of the proud people they come from) And how dare you – diminish your Daddy’s legacy in that fashion. Ahhh. . . but Daddy didn’t leave the money to Walter Lee – he gave it to his wife . So, what’s your story ….?

Now, I know you love your son and I also know he wasn’t filling the shoes of manhood just right. So, you give him the money as a bait -- an act of goodwill and to demonstrate your trust in the man of the household but Walter Lee didn’t earn that moneyDaddy did. Now, I’m not going Daniel Patrick Moynihan on Mrs. Younger by no means – Senator Moynihan didn’t know shit about black folks or the black women to lay sole blame at her feet – but that is a topic for another day. . .

And perhaps, this is the problem with us black folks. A lot of us were given shit for no reason. Maybe ‘cuz our parents made it and so they shared their blessings with the children.
But how are the children to make it – if the parents are giving shit for free?
In this world, and day, and time -- you have got to earn your keep.

This discussion is far from over, so stay tuned for part deux. . .


cheers,

Bellini

6 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

I couldnt watch, still got sidney P as the image in my head and the black and white version

mint julep said...

hmmm...not quite sure where to begin. i don't think that the "problem with us black folks" is that we have been "given shit for no reason." or else me and my family going back many generations missed the free hand outs from the government and white folks. we worked, we struggled, we were gifted tools and tangible goods from the previous generation. but it was a balance of all these things coupled with an oft-repeated lesson in understanding that too whom much is given much is required. i think its crazy to deprive your kids just for the sake of teaching them discipline cause they may grown up bitter and lazy still.

I mean didn't Daddy earn that money to provide for his family when he was gone, and wasn't it up to Mrs. Younger to determine what to do with it...and didn't she decide to give it to him. what he did with it was a shame but each player has to take responsibility for their role.

Anonymous said...

I didn't catch it and it was intentional. Can't take Sean Combs.

I love the original. Entitlement is a tough thing and there are those of us who co-sign when we don't make our children earn what they get.

From the time I was a kid, my family told me to 'get a job". It was said jokingly when I was too little to work, but became serious as I got closer to working age.

I'm glad they impressed the ethic upon me. I am better for it.

Dark & Stormy said...

I watched the broadcast and thought the cast did an excellent job. Diddy included.

Let's not forget, he did go to work everyday to provide for his for his family (just like his father). Sure he had some issues but Mrs. Younger made a good point when she said if you going to judge someone, make sure you judge where they been and where they came from too so you can understand the complete person.

Don't know much about being given shit for free 'cause that has never applied to me & my family... Plus the fam never had shit to give me (materially speaking, of course). And the majority of black folks I know are in the same boat. But maybe that's just me.

IMO, Walter Lee felt the world owed him for having to live life as a second-class citizen simply because he was a black man in America. The day he was born, chips were already stacked against him. But that didn't stop him from dreaming, even if his dream was a hair-brained scheme.

Mrs. Younger set an example by taking some of the $$ & making a down payment on a house. Then SHE chose to give her son a chance to be a man. I can't be mad at that.

That's about 100 words too many. My bad.

Rum Punch said...

Yeah I'm w/ D&S on this one. As you've suggested, a major theme in the play is manhood and what makes/defines a man... Walter Lee is fighting against 3 elements that are challenging his manhood: white society, the women in his family and his daddy's ghost. So I don't think what we are seeing can be viewed through the lenses of present day's idea of entitlement (which I interpret to mean havin access to a trust fund when you turn 18 or bein able to work at your daddys company a la the Trump family) but rather, when we put the story into context and the time period, we find a Black man trying to redefine manhood so that he feels like his life means something. And I think that was a powerful notion back then, and still is today...

Like Stormy said, Walter Lee was going to work everyday, he just didnt wanna be workin for white folk the rest of his life and still come up w/ nothin well what seemed like nothin...so he went after his own dreams, now it may have been in a foolish manner, but dreamin is not foolish...So is that a sense of entitlement? Or is that a desire to have more? The audacity to hope,perhaps? Oh, I couldn't resist. If anything, I think he felt entitled to be treated like a man but the trouble comes in him trying to figure out what that means...

Bellini said...

@mint julep: I am referring too, the black folks that went to college -- bought an SUV and have college debt the equivalent of their vehicle before it depreciated from the dealership. This whole post is about the folks who have not earned their keep and have the gall to think someone owes them something.

@dark n' stormy & rum punch: I do not feel you could look at the TV version with the same set of eyes as the original -- IMO, Diddy brought a different energy to the production than Sidney Poitier. Diddy's character is akin to our generation - so when I saw his performance I saw the knuckleheads hangin' around the corner -- doin' what they got to do get by, but not hustlin'. By all means it is fine to get by, but when you want more out of life like Walter Lee claims -- you've got to hustle. And in the original production Mrs. Younger beat the sense out of Walter Lee and deservingly so and I wish Phylicia would have given Diddy a taxin', but this was a more melancholy Mrs.Young -- which is fine (I think Rashad did a great job), but put into context to what Diddy represents and what he conveyed I saw something tangible in our generation -- not the generation Hansberry depicted in the screen play a la Poitier.

@danielle & torrance: I wished you guys had watched to give your feedback!