WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Blueprint, Part I

Good morning folks, I need your perspective . . .

A good friend of mine is pregnant with her second child, not married, a part of me can't comprehend why and let me tell you why. In the decade, since her first child was born, she graduated from college in 4 years (which is a feat in & of itself) landed a entry-level corporate America job and was holdin' steady, while in the works was her preparation for entering a graduate school program. We talk about buying homes, movin' out from mama n'em (shouts out to Rum Punch), pursuing the graduate degree . . . But now she's pregnant and I'm like WTF. Now wedding bells may not be far I hope, but I have to wonder why she chose this blueprint. I can truly say I was blindsided.


It has to be much easier being rest assured you can rely on two incomes. I'm not a preacher and I'm not here to preach, but logically speaking -- if you're married there's an income combo at play (the adage "2 heads are better than 1" -- comes to mind) so the reliance on 2 salaries is a "given" concept, but when not married are your "givens" are a whimsical afterthought. You forfeit the "givens" as a guarantee, until further notice. . . So with that being said, why choose this blueprint when prior experience taught you better or did it? Hmmm. . . that's the golden question and when I muster the gumption to ask her -- I will sooner than later -- and I'll let you know her reply. Through the test of time, tried & true, that's my girl for life and I'll be there for her, but I can't help but wonder why. . .


So, my question to you all is why do we choose certain blueprints? Knowing these blueprints are our foundation in life? Whether it's financing a car, or home we can't afford, or not sacrificing immediate luxuries for greater returns, why?


Life is all about decisions.


Cheers,

Bellini

1 comment:

mint julep said...

this is probably one of life's greatest questions - why we make the choices we make. there is no easy answer, even when you scrutinize a person's background, family, life experiences, personality, occupation and a host of other variables. just when you think you have figured out someone's blueprint and can predict there next move, or are fairly certain of how they will or won't react in a given situation, they switch it up on you. for at our core, humans are self-contradicting and unpredictable. the biggest example of that this week is t.i. even tho none of us outsiders know him personally, we were all shocked at his behavior. the familar refrain in blogs and articles is "thought dude was smarter than that" (or not so nicely "damn dummy").

so there's really no sense in trying to figure out why people do what they do, even tho she's your homey. like you say you gotta respect and love her but trying to figure her blueprint out will give you nothing but headaches.