WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Monday, February 4, 2008

Hangin By A Thread


People inside de fete
Dancin' drippin' wit' sweat
Nobody tired yet
Jam you go get
We celebratin'
Pure love no hatin'
Man jammin' on woman
Gyul win'in' back on man
Drinks flowin' down like rain
Party insane no one can see me
Cause dis is time to party

And we nah goin' home, til de mornin' come
And we nah goin' home, til we see de sun


- Nah Goin Home, Biggie Irie



I just spent most of the weekend celebrating Trinidad & Tobago's Carnival, which officially begins today. To say I am in need of sleep and a good detox regimen is an understatement. I think I may have been a Bajan [from Barbados] or Trini gyul [chick] in my last lifetime. Seriously. I have always loved all sounds & rhythms from the Carribean. Reggae, dancehall, soca, calypso... love it all. I grew up listening to old skool favs like Peter Tosh, Third World, Steel Pulse, and of course the one and only Robert Nesta Marley. I can "wine" like a dancehall queen. I look forward to food items like corn soup, doubles, bussup shot, and goat roti. Wouldn't be surprised if I ended up marrying a brother from the islands... lol. Though he'd probably have to be somewhat Americanized 'cause I ain't the one to be his maid and his cook and sit at home waiting for him to walk through the door each day like his mama and 'em. But that's another conversation I won't start today.


I saw "de mornin' come" Saturday AND Sunday. Today is my first day back in the real world after a week of vacation. In addition to lack of sleep and 100+ emails in my inbox and unread faxes and millions of voicemails and a mailbox overflowing with envelopes, I just lost the last two originally typed paragrapghs of this post. I am ready to go home now.


I hope to regain my sanity (what little I had at least) soon. In the meantime, I leave you with this in spirit of this festive season.





Tumultuously Yours,

Dark & Stormy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'mon Dark & Stormy. You know you're not as young as you used to be. Gotta pace yourself with all that damn partying :)

Dark & Stormy said...

Boy who you tellin? Lol. I can't spring back as quickly as I used to. The exception seems to be an all-nighter due to an exceptional lovemaking session. Then I got energy for days! :)