WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Monday, June 2, 2008

Who Chose Who

Last week, I became quite enthralled by the comments that followed a post over at verysmartbrothas.com about why women should or should not approach men they are interested in. Many comments forced me to quickly glance at the calendar to remind myself that the current year is indeed 2008. Ultimately I arrived to the following conclusion:

Is it really that serious?

In the 200+ comments to the post, the majority of both men and women said that they felt men should always do the approaching. One chick went so far as to say it doesn't matter if a woman catches a man staring [in that obvious "I wanna get wit you" way] and admiring, the woman should not budge or speak until ole' boy steps up to the plate. Coincidentally, she's single.

Another comment read:

"I like for men to initiate first because if I do it and get into a relationship with them, its most likely that I will be making all the decisions instead of as a couple. Men have gotten real lazy nowadays. We have to give birth to their kids, clean the house, cook dinner, etc. Now we have to ask them out???? I'm sorry but that's not my job."

Wow... Slow ya roll sista. She made a jump from initiating conversation/contact with a brother to getting into a relationship with a lazy man who is incapable of making decisions. Is it that serious? How many first impressions/conversations/dates lead to a relationship? Millions more don't than do. Is this how sistas are thinking these days? You see a dude strolling down the street and you start admiring his swag and his tight sneakers... You start to smile at him, then you stop yourself because you start thinking "if I initiate this won't be no time before homie moves his unemployed ass into my house, running up my light bill and eating up all my food."

You may think I'm reaching far here, but just yesterday I watched the women I was dining with rag on some brothas for wearing a crisp white T to a casual restaurant for Sunday brunch. These were some clean looking men, nothing scrubby about them... Coulda been law students out getting their grub on before heading back to the library. Or maybe they were checking out a few open houses in the neighborhood (most are on Sundays) and got hungry while house hunting. Maybe we are worrying about the wrong things and missing out on the good shit while doing so?

Before I get off subject, which is fairly easy for me, let me clarify what kind of initiation I feel is acceptable. If I see a man that catches my attention, why wait for him to approach me? What is so wrong with me approaching him and starting a conversation? Maybe his mind was occupied with something or he just wasn't facing my direction... Just because he hasn't approached me doesn't mean he is not interested or would not be interested once he knew I actually existed. I can make my presence known, and possibly my interest, with a smile here and a giggle there...

If Mr. Man wants this convo to go any further, then he knows what to do to make that happen. I'm not going to ask him for his number or when I can see him again. Me chasing him is not an option. But ain't nothing wrong with tossing a lil' incentive his way just to get the ball rolling.

If we were discussing pursuing a career or finding your dream home or going back to school for an advanced degree, everyone would be like go get yours. But when it comes to a man, we [women] are supposed to sit back and wait for him to magically roll in with the afternoon tide? Why not go get yours? Are we so afraid of rejection that we'd let a possibly good thing pass just to save face?

When you meet a happy couple, doing the damn thing and holding it down for each other, have you ever asked them "who chose who?"

Exactly. 'Cause it ain't that serious.


Tumultuously Yours,
Dark & Stormy


(Inspired by vsb's post found here http://www.verysmartbrothas.com/f-sadie-hawkins/)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree!! I posted a comment on that blog saying how dumb it is not to simply start conversation with a guy. He still has to close the deal at the end by asking for your number.

Trust me I not one of those women. They can keep letting men walk by them, while I walk up and say hello...lol

Good post

Gangsta D said...

Interesting comments. I'm curious. Does the guy ALWAYS have to ask for the number? If you're willing to initiate the convo, why can't you ask for the number? If he doesn't ask for it, and you're feeling him, do you just charge it to the game? Or is there some regret?

Sometimes a guy may be thinking, "Ahh, she's really not feeling me. Time to move on." All the while, you had an eyelash in your eye that was throwing off your flirty eye game. He doesn't get the digits, and you two part ways. Does that happen often?

Maria said...

My friends and I are of the decidedly direct school, LOL. If we're in the mood, we'll play eye games and flirt a bit; but once we get to business, we're all business.

Case in point, we were at a local hotspot a coupla weeks ago, and my homegirl's eye got caught on a fiiiinne man. Instead of playing games or even flirting, she confidently strode up to him, handed over her business card and said, "Hi, I'm ___. You should call me sometime."

Although we'd love to find our Mr. Rights, we're not exactly aching for it. Oddly enough, several of my "Mr. Right Nows" have become serious relationships...

Rum Punch said...

Dang Maria, let me get some of that pimp juice! I don't mind starting a convo or flirting but I am not one to put myself all the way out there. I did it in my youth and after a few bad experiences, I think I was scarred for life. Anyway. As I said on very smart brothas, I definitely think the woman has to be involved in the choosing, whether it's covert or overt is up to you. But I've learned that if you just let yourself be chosen, without really being a part of that decision, you're left with too many questions, mainly, what am I really doing with him? Or is that just me? LOL!

Unknown said...

"If Mr. Man wants this convo to go any further, then he knows what to do to make that happen. " I agree! I wouldn't do much, I would let him do his thing if he wants it bad enough.


Ten Principles for Dating

Amaretto said...

Um. I'm raising my hand. Not only for Rum's Women's meeting in December but also to the part of this post that I was a part of. The White T conversation.

Stormy, I will first say that you put pearls out in this post! There is so much agreement, because like you said who said who said what's up to whom ain't that serious in the end.

But back to the White T's I just wanted to know what was going on because 3 of the men had them on. And really they weren't T-shirts, more like undershirts. Now if they hadn't been gay and they wanted to chit chat I would have. But really the ragging was questioning if this is what's hot in the streets now?! Hanes undershirts that diplay both nipple and hair? That's all.

Anonymous said...

I have NEVER been a sit-back-and-wait kinda woman. (Okay, let me clarify...I WAS a sit-back-and-wait kinda GIRL.) The short story is: in HS I liked a guy, but those were my "shy days", so like other HS girls do, I had my FRIEND tell this boy that I liked him...Meanwhile, I waited WEEKS AND WEEKS to do this. My friend told him that I liked him and what did HE say to her: "I like her too, but CAROL told me that she liked me first, so now SHE'S my girlfriend!" ARRRRGH! Needless to say, I gave up that shy demeanor and approached guys that I liked and NEVER waited on them ever again in life. I know what it's like to be shy and quiet. It's HARD to approach someone that you're interested in. And if I can be shy/quiet, why can't some guys? ALL men aren't "yo-babying" chicks in the street!!!
I spent all of my single life with that attitude. Me and the gurls would go out to clubs, and while they were standing on the sidelines WAITING for guys to ask them to dance, I'd grab a guy's hand and head to the dance floor. WHY should I have to wait to be CHOSEN when I could do the CHOOSING?!?!? I KNOW who I wanted to dance with, why WAIT just to tell someone that I DIDN'T want to dance with NO? Now it's time to go home!!
That's how I met my husband--by making the FIRST MOVE. It doesn't mean that he's LAZY (cuz he's NOT) and it doesn't make him LESS OF A MAN (he's a great guy) it just makes him HUMAN. He cooks dinner, he cleans the house and so do I--we're a TEAM. Sorry that he can't give birth--NO MAN can do that (that's just a SILLY comment by an even sillier woman)...
I agree with you 100%, D&S...it's NOT that serious! Either wait to be chosen or CHOOSE! The choice is YOURS!