WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Monday, June 7, 2010

Past Puppy Love

When I was 13 a met a young man at a beach picnic and exchanged numbers drawn in the sand. To this day I still remember that number, even though I never wrote it down. On this day, I experienced my first kiss and it was kind of magical when I think back on it. Sunset on the beach, looking out at the water, sitting side by side, man puts his hand on my far shoulder, then uses his other hand to wrap his towel around me and go in for the kill. DAMN! That was hot... if only I could find my diary from back then now. I don't remember the cologne he was wearing but I do remember the feeling of being swept off my feet by his smell. It went down as one my best kisses EVER! (sigh) I didn't even know what to make of this event at the time. All I knew was that I liked this dude!

Later that night I got the beating of a lifetime. Little did I know my house was a no boys zone and my mother was absolutely livid I gave him my number. (sigh) I was so naive, never in a million years did I think she would freak about a boy calling the house but to make matters worst... when she asked me questions about him I told her the truth. If I could go back in time I would have never told her a thing! But oh no, I told her everything! And it was everything that caused me to get my butt tanned. When I think back on this incident I completely understand why punishment was necessary. This boy who I had given my number to was 7 years my senior... Whoa!

Need less to say, that was a wrap. He was not calling me anymore. (sigh) But then again, I still wanted to talk to him. It wasn't like I was ever going actually see dude considering my mother would probably kill me. We went from a simple kiss at sunset to an occassional phone call here and there. Boyfriends came and went and I could always rely on him to help me out when in a bind. Countless emergency rides home from parties and pep talks to get through studying for exams. The ultimate protector in my back pocket. Two years of this and it was time for my mother and this young man to meet again. By this time it was okay for boys to call the house and you better believe, he was on speed dial. In fact, the irony of this story is that the day my mother met him, she loved him. Even to this day... she still loves him. Makes us chuckle inside every time because if she only knew he was the same boy from way back when that she claimed could not possibly have anything in common with me. You couldn't tell me at 15, we weren't a match made in heaven. The relationship lasted until I was 19. And at the time, he was SO out my league.

I went off to college and he stayed home. I think that was the last we ever spoke. Except for the one time he built up the courage to warn me about a past loser boyfriend. By this time, I had labeled him my first love and the direction my life was moving in was no going to collide with his again. For years my best friend would tease that on one of these trips home I was going to see him and fall in love with him again. And for years, I would say, "Please he is so out of my league. What could we possibly have in common?" Then it happened. Tens later I run into this dude on the day I am supposed to return to Philly and you could swear it was as if we were separated by war. WTF?!? It was though nothing had changed. My heart was beating like crazy and frozen. I could tell he was just as nervous as I was yet we still managed to speak.

Okay, so all the times I played this possible event over in my head... I thought it would go something like this. We meet, we say "whats up?" then go our separate ways. The last thing I was expecting was a heart felt apology for breaking my heart and the "I still love you" speech. Excuse me? What is a girl supposed to do with that? (sigh) Then here comes, I am not going to let you out my life again. WHAT?!? Dude I live miles away! I am not going to lie, just like our first kiss, this meeting seemed unreal! He then reminds me of how when we first met, he always knew I was going to be his wife. And I am thinking yes, I remember you saying that back then... but come on, we are adults now. This is the second time I have heard such non sense from an ex so why was it trippin' me up this time? O-M-G! This is way too much for me right now. So what do I do? And is it truly possible to resurrect a relationship that I had defined as past puppy love? Or was this about to be something different and better? Who knows?

Much luv 'til next week... peace:)

Gyal me wann fi hold yuhhh put me arms right arounddd ya
Gyal you give me the tightest hold me eva seen in my life





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should give him a chance. Obviously I don't know all the reasons behind why it didn't work out, but given that he was there for you for several years even when you weren't dating he may really mean it. This is one of my favorite quotes:

“While people are fairly young and the musical composition of their lives is still in its opening bars, they can go about writing it together, but if they meet when they are older, their musical compositions are more or less complete and every motif, every object, every word means something different to each of them." -Milan Kundera

There's something to be said for marrying someone who knows who you were before life started messing with your head.

mint julep said...

what a great story! no matter what happens you have such a wonderful story.

from where i sit, i don't see any harm in reconnecting with him. from what you said it seems like he's a genuinely nice guy, who has proven that he can be a friend when you need it.

"go ahead honey, take a chance!" (c) old lady on the subway on coming to america

Courvoisier said...

@ Brownbelle - The break-up was partially circumstantial. Thanks for the quote... might have to make that my facebook status. Usually I try to stay away from the mushy :)

@Amaretto - I could have sworn I told you that before. (sigh)

@MJ - You have a point. We will just see where this goes.