WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Resurrection of the Buppie

Ooohhh. . . time to touch on a wonderful topic, HOLLYWOOD (he's on his way he's busting thru Hollywood -- shouts out to Chaka Khan and Erykah Badu since we're also talking about resurrection).









Last time Hollywood entertained the thought of a Black upper class was in 1992 . . .
with my favorite movie of all time -- "Boomerang"

To a pre-teen child with the dreams of "doin' the damn thing" the cast ensemble was the dream come true (Robin Givens, Eddie Murphy, Halle Berry, Martin Lawrence (he is so fine -- just like wine, only gets better with time).


This was truly Bellini's first epiphany in life (this is important to know folks particularly as you get to know me -- and I don't mean Martin!!!).


I knew I was going to make it, 'cuz Marcus and 'em made it. I mean really, "Boomerang" set the stage -- we had the senior executives, board meetings, and budget numbers: everything that spells professional -- hence the word buppie. "Boomerang" confirmed buppies were in existence.


Now fast forward to 2007 and Tyler Perry hit a home run with "Why Did I get Married" coupled with a grade A stamp of buppyness -- just wonderful! But, why did it take 15 freakin' years for the resurrection of the buppie??? Oh, Hollywood -- isn't it mainstream America's problem if they can't identify with a black lawyer-- who also happens to be partner at the firm, black doctor with own flourishing practice (ask my girl from the NO New Orleans and she says that's not practical to accomplish a practice at age 36 -- but that's irrlevant), black architect who won the major contract, and black entrepreneurs (all roles portrayed in "Why Did I get Married"). Hmmm. . . I'm lovin' it . . . I mean did you see the fabulousness of the cast in furs???



Back to my point, the buppies are back and hopefully here to stay in Hollywood. Since, I'm always hearing Hollywood responds to numbers. . . HELLO -- "Why Did I get Married" was number 1 , so that means Hollywood owes consumers more movies reflecting buppyness. I mean as a certified buppy myself (and I dare someone to say I'm not), who rarely flocks to the movie theatres (surenly not opening weekend) I spent my money. Hollywood, please take in to consideration that these forthcoming buppy movies should continue to have substance (so thank you Reginal Hudlin and Tyler Perry). Other buppy movies that were brillant in content include "Eve's Bayou" (thanks to Kasi Lemmons too), but you have to be a sophistacated soul -- it's kind of deep, but surely you can handle the content.

"Why Did I get Married" has provided reaffirmation that other buppies exist. I think I can speak for the millions of buppies and buppies-in-training, by proclaiming that we're here to stay. So, as we go through our journey called life if you need inspiration just pop in Boomerang (I do have the VHS version haven't upgraded to DVD, just yet). Oh, and for the rest of the buppies out there continue to stay on your grind, but remember to stay humble as apple pie -- 'cuz Tyler Perry reminded we us that we are fabulous, but our shit still stinks on occasion!

Remeber Hollywood, I ain't going nowhere --I'm here to stay--
BUPPY FOR LIFE . . . . . . . .


Cheers,

Bellini

5 comments:

Rum Punch said...

Love, love should have brought your ass home last night! I just had to quote a great line from your favorite movie!!!

Anonymous said...

Thought about it all day...does Two Can Play Game count? They had decent jobs...Morris was the lawyer I think and Vivica was a top Executive.

Regardless of how entertaining the movie was they were acting kind of crazy in the movie and it didn't do as well as "Why did I get married?".

Bellini said...

can't really speak on that movie 'cuz I wasn't feeling the lil' bit I've seen -- but if you're inspired, who am I to judge

mint julep said...

i think what sets "why did i get married?" apart from say a two can play that game (despite aunt viv and sexy morris being "professionals") was that tyler perry really made the characters multi-faceted yet relateable across color. they weren't "out of place" in their professional lives in the way that characters in 2CPTG can tend to be. they were just believable despite all the drama there was something about it...i can't put my figure on it just yet

Bellini said...

perhaps the word is normal -- although that has a relative quality; sidenote - when I think about the flack "Boomerang" got back then from mainstream America about how it wasn't realistic, it makes me think about my post on 'Whose America'