WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

It's March Madness. . . test your mettle

The 2008 Democratic campaign demonstrates the peculiarness of the 2008 presidential campaign. How many times can a Comeback Kid -- Clinton (of course) comeback and not undermine the meaning? Does this demonstrate the tenacity of the Clinton campaign? She's won all the big states except Illinois.

OR
Is it an indication that she is a flawed candidate which means bestowing the Democratic nomination comes with inherent risk?

What does this all mean for Barack?

Nothing -- if you're asking me--last night does not change the dynamics of the race. It's tough.

He is playing his strategy well. No one said this would be a cakewalk, and it shouldn't be. He has accrued the most delegates and is leading in the popular vote -- which is no easy feat - remember Hillary was the presumed candidate a year ago (WOW -- dynamics of a year).

At this point, neither candidate will have met the delegate threshold required to cinch the Democratic nomination. Let's not forget about the superdelegates, either way you slice the pie -- it's a mess. The punditocracy is attempting to make sense of the madness. You can bet, Democratic strategists are trying to find a solution to their party's problem but the math just doesn't add up!

Deja vu - seems more and more like a reality.
And you ask how do I know this stuff -- I just do!

I will give you the foresight needed to adequately analyze what happened yesterday. If the Democratic nomination extends to the summer it does not bode well for the Democratic Party. John McCain cemented his fate as the defacto Republican presidential nominee. From here on out he has 8 months (March - October) to "circle the wagons" collect enormous sums of money, the Political Action Committees (PACs) can fine-tune his message and share with the masses; thereby giving the GOP a strategic advantage. In other words, the Dems don't have time to watch this spectacle -- someone must concede. However, they must also let their democratic process play it self out. And possibly get played in November -- what a shame!

So, I'm going to drop some equations and I want you guys to do math.
  1. Since Barack has failed to eclipse Hillary in die-hard blue states outside of his state Illinois, is it plausible to think that if he is chosen as the Democratic nominee he can win California, New York, New Jersey, Texas, and Ohio in the general election?
  2. Which of the party bases can the Democratic Party afford to disgruntle and win -- not so fast -- before you answer consider the Democratic Party has never won the general election without the black vote, past victors of presidential elections were victors of the partys' presidential primaries in the Buckeye state (Ohio)?
  3. Is the energized Democratic base impartial to Barack's candidacy or does the energy stem from their disaffection with the Bush administration?

Bonus question: Could a combination ticket with both candidates bolster the Democratic Party chances in winning in November?

Superbonus: Who would lead the ticket?

cheers,

Bellini

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I woke up this morning to see a fellow Highbrid Nation writer reporting that Hillary has won the Ohio and Texas primaries and how this is getting bad. And like him I feel like this battle between Obama and Hillary has went on too long and now they are in danger of hurting the party by allowing McCain to take shots at them while they are dealing with each other. Howard Dean should step in and say “Look, Obama is going to be the canidate and Hillary you can be his running mate if you choose”…I know I know that would never happen but a guy can dream right?

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

He let his guard down, got good to him, but he in his corner now, its on for real...and u know u had me thinking about basketball

Bellini said...

@mike: Remember, I told you Dean doesn't hold that kind of clout. Rather interesting that Clinton hinted at a combination ticket with her on top -- the entitlement saga continues to define her campaign.

@torrance: So, that's how I get the fellas to break out the silence, by using sport terminology. LOL-- don't be a stranger!

Rum Punch said...

How much extra credit do we get if we answer the bonus question? LOL! Hmmm...A Leo & a Scorpio, that's a bad combination and that's bad meaning bad, not bad meaning good. Aside from who would lead the ticket? How would both their egos fit on the ticket? While I'm not on the O train, I gotta say from what I've been reading,I agree that he needs to step his "attack" game up. This is only the beginning, they ain't even brought out their big guns yet. I think how he's running his campaign is commendable...And my mama taught me to take the high road too, but she also taught me that if someone hits me first, I can fight back...I'm not saying he needs to fight dirty or use typical attack tactics, but he's running for President of the United States, not of the S.G.A. Promises of all day recess and pizza, I'm sorry, I mean hope, change, change,hope (jazz hands) ain't gon' get it...

Dark & Stormy said...

I would hope in the worst case scenario where Obama has to concede, that he does NOT agree to run as VP with Clinton. And I damn sure hope he doesn't ask her to be on the ticket either, if the opposite occurs. I hope Obama is ready to rumble 'cause a TKO is the only way he'll win this battle.

I'm not going to give up hope and put down my jazz hands [rum punch] just 'cause Clinton won Ohio. Yes I've been drinking the kool-aid and proud of it. My mama refused to buy kool-aid when I was a kid. I'm making up for lost time...