WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Monday, March 3, 2008

Three Ways to Get a Husband While Singing In the Comeback Choir

One of my homegirls called me last week elated because she won something on the radio for the very first time. Her prize: two tickets to Tyler Perry’s latest theatrical production, The Marriage Counselor. My first thought was, “I hope she does not invite me.” Isn’t that terrible? I cannot help but get a bad taste in my mouth when I start to think about being an audience member of the latest chitlin’ circuit performance. And yet there is also a tiny voice in my head telling me I’m wrong for harboring negative feelings about such products of hard work and testaments of success of the people in my community.

We all know Tyler Perry’s bio by now. The brother was living out of his car at one point and damn near went broke trying to stage his first play. His second play, Woman Thou Art Loosed, grossed over $5 million in five months. According to Entertainment Weekly, Perry averaged a little over $21 million per opening weekend for each of his last four box office smashes. And he is not alone in his conquest of the afro-thespian market. David E. Talbert, Je’Caryous Johnson, and Gary Guidry join him in the ranks. And I cannot speak on this subject without mentioning Mr. Shelly Garrett of the forever infamous Beauty Shop.

I love an inspirational story as much as the next person. But these plays all follow the same formula for every script:
  • Characters: Main Character (MC); MC’s love interest; mother/big mama/other black woman who raised MC (must wear big wig, housecoat, and DD-sized sagging breasts); next door neighbor or co-worker who is also close friend & confidant; lover from the past who reappears after years of absence & still in love with MC; the bad seed/vindictive tramp/adulterous deacon from the church.
  • At least four musical numbers. One must be a love ballad and one a moral dilemma.
  • Stirring gospel rendition that brings the audience to their feet is a given.
  • Starring actors and singers who are very talented but been out of work for a few months. Leon, Kelly Price, Tamela & David Mann, Billy Dee Williams, Morris Chestnut, and Richard Roundtree are some of the usual suspects.

And you know church groups from all over plan a day trip out around the productions. Their charter buses be lined up outside the theater with signs on the front windows that read “First Rising Mount Zion Baptist”, “Mosley A.M.E.”, and “Sacred Hearts Soul Redemption Temple”. After the play, they board the bus and head to Golden Corral, Crate & Barrel, or Shoney's.

Knowing that my people are the writers, directors, musical directors, choreographers, and production crew makes me very proud. But are all of our stories about heartache, inability to find a good wo/man, and learning to love the Lord? For every Talbert or Perry, where are the aspiring black playwrights to continue the legacies of Lorraine Hansberry, James Baldwin, August Wilson, Goerge C. Wolfe, and Suzan-Lori Parks?

I don't think it would bother me so much if similar productions existed within other ethnic communities.

Have you ever heard of:

  • Mom, I'm marrying a black man, starring Margaret Cho?
  • Papi, te amo!, starring Cheech Marin?
  • Where is my Mazal Tov?, starring Mayim Bialik and Mindy Cohn?

Exactly.

I fear that we are type casting ourselves. Pigeon-holing each other. Creating stereotypical roles and masterfully portraying them to a T. I'm almost afraid to say it but, in the words of Granny 'Retto, shuckin' and jivin'.

Some may think that's a stretch but I doubt it. Who better than black folk to properly portray us to the rest of the world? The chitlin' circuit played a very significant role in our history. Once upon a time, there were limited venues that would allow black entertainers inside their doors. Today it is nothing to see brown faces, on stage and in the house, at the Kennedy Center, Kodak Theatre, and Broadway. Those doors have been opened to us and the sky is the limit.

So why do we still have tunnel vision?

Tunnels lead the way underground. It's time to rise above.

I'm sure Hattie McDaniel is turning in her grave.

Tumultuously Yours,

Dark & Stormy

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tyler has an amazing story and I wish him the best. That being said, I'm not a fan of his work. He is capable of better. All his stories follow the same pattern.

I remember the Beacon Theatre at home in NYC featuring his plays all the time and I never wanted to see them. I still don't.

Anonymous said...

Well I'm anti-Tyler. No doubt I respect his hustle but I can do without his work. Remember how you felt as a child when your mother told you to eat some green vegetable, like asparagus, and you made that face? That's the face I give when I hear one of these plays are coming to town and a ticket magically appeared in my possession. I'm sure these playwrights are talented so write a thought provoking, unpredictable play. Please?

Amaretto said...

Well in the words of Ms. Jill Scott "Everything ain't for everybody"

Personally I don't care for chitins, green eggs and ham, black assumptions like love of watermelon, chicken and over the top antics. And I don't care for plays that could have been adapted into a UPN television show…er a CW-whatevs.

But someone must.

This brings up the commercial verses artistic integrity debate. Though with art everything is relative. But I'm sure Tyler and 'em could do better, or a different, but is its still gonna give the same lucrative bottom-line?

I'm sure someone has a granny who only wears housecoats, has tripple E breasts and totes a gun in her handbag... I'm just not one of those people.

Unknown said...

I have a similar feeling about modern black literature. Not only do they perpetuate black stereotypes many modern black novels flat out lack creativity.

Bellini said...

Hmmm. . . the reality is our track record hasn't been that great in black folks supporting other adaptations of black life directed / featured by us. There are countless plays, musicals, featuring us or directed by us and when I read the names of contributors in the playbill and identify the composition of groups present we are outnumbered or lack a presence at all. Whereas, we should have come in droves, organized the bustrips to support us. Black folks need to reassess their comittment to the arts. If you are committed to the arts -- you patronize, search/seek outlets for arts. Perhaps, if we took that approach we would have strong numbers across the board in arts, let alone theatre directed or featured by us. I saw Alvin Ailey two weekends ago -- the audience was 60/40 (blacks being the latter). The issue is not tunnel vision, rather where you choose to spend your money. I'm going to see the "Cat in the Tin Roof" on Broadway next month -- I'll report the composition of that audience. but don't hold your breath. . .

[flahy] [blak] [chik] said...

I remember going to see, "Mama, I Want To Sing" with my grandmother's church. Oddly enough, I don't remember much about the musical, but up until recently the only Tyler Perry movie I've seen was, "Why Did I Get Married?". The one thing about his characters in all of his movies/shoes is that they're all over exxagerated which seems to dumb down the plots for the short attention spanned audiences that are out there nowadays.

I'm not going to knock his hustle, but when looking for substance, he's not going to be my first option.

I loved seeing the "Color Purple" and I'm even more excited about seeing "Cat....Tin Roof".

Gangsta D said...

Thanks to Netflix, I starting watching the show "Arrested Development" this weekend. I thought to myself, "this show wouldn't be any less funny if it were about a black family." There's so much more to the black experience that we don't see. It would be nice if we saw more[any] writers/directors trying to elevate material, and take it in new directions. "House Of Payne" is not where the funk's at.

Rum Punch said...

I agree w/ gangsta d, we have a lot of stories that can be told more as "human interest" or life happens to all of us stories than as "the Black experience...Can You Dig It". I will never forget a Dr. Phil episode where 2 sisters who were Black hadn't spoken in YEARS, and they were finally trying to reconcile. The whole audience, Black and white alike was crying at their story because everyone felt that pain regardless of race...we need more of those stories that hit people at their core. On another note, my mother is one of the few people I know who will support Tyler Perry and August Wilson because to her, it's all about supporting Black business. I'm not saying I'm a Perry fan, but some of us be chantin' Black is, Black ain't, with our noses in the air, instead of collaborating together so we can improve the situation...

Dark & Stormy said...

@single black male: Just watched WDIGM for the first time last night. I enjoyed it and agree that it wasn't the usual Perryesque foolishness.

@amaretto: "But I'm sure Tyler and 'em could do better, or a different, but is its still gonna give the same lucrative bottom-line?"

> Not necessarily. Isn't the same argument used for dumb ass hip-hop music (i.e. Soulja Boy)? Demand and it shall be supplied. We have the power to demand better quality & diversity.

@1980: Ditto. The "urban lit" I see in the black section of the bookstores makes me cringe.

@Bellini: "If you are committed to the arts -- you patronize, search/seek outlets for arts."

> I agree, though the examples you used are not outlets for arts that the average person can afford. I am not surprised of the 60/40 make-up of Ailey's audience. The shows cost more and are advertised to a different crowd than who you may find at a Perry or Talbert performance. Being that "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" is on Broadway at the moment, I doubt we'll see too many more brown faces in the audience.

@rum punch: I can agree with your mama on that philosophy. As long as I actually enjoy the product ;) I believe this is especially important on a local level- directly investing in our own communities.

Mizzo said...

Are we really prepared to challenge ourselves as a people is the question.

Are we really?

I do agree that most of the plots are nothing more than Negro spirituals that culminate with a happy Good Times climax, but who else is attempting to uplift our people through inspiration?

If the talent is out there, that shit ain't getting shown.

Tyler is broadening our cultural intellect so more innovation can flow. We all know damn well those Tyler caricatures exist in an around our collective on some level. Well at least in the Tillery family I should say ;)I agree with most of what you say here D&S, but the kids need soul models right?

Anonymous said...

I saw Marriage Counselor and that was great by Tyler Perry then I saw 3 ways to get a husband by Jecaryous Johnson and it was horrible had absolutely no meaning.......What out for the new comers writing plays Jecaryous please take your time brother......

Anonymous said...

watch out I mean

Anonymous said...

Three ways to get a husband was about women shacking up instead of waiting. I liked it. I thought it was great and the house was packed.

Therewas a time when black people were not allowed to express themselves. I consider these people trail blazers.

this is one crab that has made it out of the barrel.

Lola Gets said...

I hate to be a stickler for detail, but I dont think Hattie McDaniel would be turining in her grave over the 21st century chitlin circut plays. She performed in minstrel shows with her family for years. And the majority of her movie roles were maids and servants. When the NAACP asked her to reconsider her role choices as she was giving Blacks a bad name, she said shes rather play a maid for $700 than be a maid for $7 a week.

Think about it: She won an award for playing "Mammy." Her showbiz career wasnt uplifting at all.

L