WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Wire Tap

Saturday night I found myself at a potluck dinner and part of a discussion with a few twenty and thirty-somethings about religion and politics. A great time was had as we ate our Popeye’s chicken and volleyed the Bracky O ball across the table. One dude was a DIE.HARD Obama supporter. He told us he was writing donation checks and how he had collected all of Bracky’s buttons, bumper stickers and t-shirts and was hording them for future antiquity. He was practically losing his breath, and his mind trying to convince many that Obama is a true giant and not, as I tend to think, a giant among midgets. I found a lot of what this man said interesting but most striking was his sincere hope and belief that Bracky was going to come into office, switch the game up and take down the current system Americana. “Oh, please sir” I said, “Haven’t you ever watched The Wire?” His reply, “Why does everyone talk about The Wire?” Ummmm. What?!

Because it’s truth...
Because it shows there’s stuff going on that the public doesn’t know…
Because it shows that there are rules to this sh*t, someone wrote a manual, a step-by-step booklet (Biggie!)


Do ya’ll remember D.A.R.E? A program that was part of the war the government waged on-well scratch that-is still waging on drugs? I remember “Just Say No” and my T-shirt…and that’s about it. More vividly, I remember friends who found themselves puff-puff giving and experimenting with cocaine. Now what happens on the streets of The Wire? The cops pursue drug czars and their soldiers year after year under the banner of this war on drugs. Some victories are made, sure-but they are still fighting. Why? Because there is a system in the production and distribution of drugs. And because cities like Baltimore breed social, economic and political systems that feed off of desires for money, power, and respect (the keys to life) by any means necessary. And just because daddy is dead or gone doesn’t mean the kids aren’t going to find a way to eat. Get that bread. Stack that paper. Keep that vicious cycle spinning. No matter what, that torch will be carried by another.

And the
War on Terror? Please! Mission accomplished? Okay, consider the American public officially distracted from what is really going on. If I wasn’t being gouged by taxes I would get a few key people in the Fed The Wire seasons 1-4 on DVD so they could understand their losing battles. What are we going to do (looking at you Bubba in Middle America)? Lock up entire nations to stay safe? We’ve been told that we can win the wars on homelessness, poverty, hunger, terror and drugs. But how can we when these enemies use guerilla warfare while we follow our strategic playbooks? I’m thinking win is too strong of a word, ebb might be more accurate. And are these fighting patriotic messages sent to lead us to believe that we are being taken care of so that we all don’t take to the streets and demand change? Because clearly, these systems (at least on The Wire) can stop one or maybe a few folks…but a movement? A revolution?

Hmmmmm. Maybe I’m crazy.


I will say that I like hoping for change even though I’m becoming more cynical lately. I think Orwell's "1984" is a must read for everyone, "Animal Farm" is pretty good too. I’m planning on enjoying the last episode of The Wire. Then I’m going to hope for more change. And then I’m going to wage my war on Coffee! I can’t stand my coworkers' coffee breath! Anyone else with me? My first step will be to throw a fit in a Starbucks. Get all up in the face of a barista about their pricing. Then go on to the next shop. Afterwards, I’m going to hope for change some more. Maybe give a rousing speech on the ills of Coffee and benefits of tea. I'll get folks inspired and riled, without saying much or disclosing that I drink coffee on occasion. Oh yes, I believe I can take Coffee down one tall latte at a time! I’ll let ya'll know when my mission is accomplished!

See You in Seven

2 comments:

Gangsta D said...

Is Barack a Carcetti in waiting? At the onset of Carcetti's campaign, he was idealistic, preaching change and hope. "A New Day In B-More." That's not turning out so well. Obama is preaching change and hope, but once he's in office will he fall prey to the trappings of your typical politician? Hopefully, he has a "Norman" on his team that he can lean on.

Dark & Stormy said...

LOL @ you quoting Biggie. Funny that you mention Animal Farm & 1984. Both are classics that I read over 10 years ago but am just starting to have those "aha" moments about the novels' content. I would also add Fahrenheit 451 to that list.