WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Monday, March 31, 2008

SBF ISO Dr. Scholl


I enjoyed a great Jill Scott concert a couple of weeks ago. She was rockin a hot pair of golden-colored shoes with a high heel (approx. 3 inches high is my guess). About an hour into her set, Jill changed shoes. As Jill and her back-up singers sang "Pinky toe... pinky toe... pinky toe", a stagehand brought homegirl a pair of flip flops. Jill changed shoes while exhaling in sighs of relief. And the show continued.

Every woman in the house screamed and applauded. We were not only tickled, but pleasantly surprised to see a sister of such fame keep it real while in the presence of the public. I know this is Ms. Real Thing I'm talking about, who always gives it to ya straight, but this was still unexpected. It was a special moment for every woman in the audience...

'Cause each of us wanted to do the exact same thing.

I have read countless articles in newspapers and watched numerous news segments reporting on the negative effects of wearing high heeled shoes. Half the shoes we wear squeeze our toes, scrape our heels, hurt our soles, make us cry on the inside. Yet we continue to torture ourselves.

WHY????

For years, I had one or two pairs of high heeled shoes. I wore them when I went to a party or club hoppin or sometimes if I had a hot date. Or maybe if the ladies and I had reservations at a nice restaurant... basically special occasions. I've always been a sneaker head anyhow. Sneakers prevailed in my closet. Outnumbered girly shoes 4-1, easily. I also have the worst feet to try and shop for. Really. They're flat with no arch, narrow (AA width), with a skinny heel. Try fitting that perfectly into a shoe. Strappy shoes don't fit because there aren't enough holes on the strap to tightly secure the shoe around my foot. Pumps are a damn obstacle 'cause my heel slides out. When I add heel pads, it pushes my toes further into the shoe causing friction and pain. Even flats don't fit well- most of them are too soft to support my arch, allowing my feet to fall inward. This makes flexible rubber soles and shoe laces my best friends.

Shoe shopping with my mom as a teenager was like a Wrestlemania match. We'd walk into the store. I'd tell my mom let me pick what I like and ask her not to make suggestions (because I never agreed with them). After trying the 4th or 5th pair with no luck in sight mom would start coming over with ugly shit in her hand, saying "what about these". I would reply in a not so nice tone, frustrated and pissed. And the match would be on! She would later tell me I need to keep a good job 'cause places like Bakers and Payless would never be an option for me.

So when did I become the chick who wears dresses (sometimes with flowers- yuck!), with a nice pair of heels and a clutch to match? I haven't purchased a pair of Nikes or Pumas or Asics in over six months! My inner rebel is screaming for help. I don't recognize this woman in the mirror anymore. I still rock my Jordan jersey, the Redskins caps, the rare two-toned Air Force Ones that I haven't seen on anyone else's feet... But they haven't been getting the same love as my shiny BCBG heels with the square peep toe. Or the brown distressed boots that tie in the back. And the metallic pumps with the wedged heel.

My feet cannot take it anymore.

I have become one of those women. The ones who read In Style and Vogue magazines. Who spend an entire day or weekend on a shopping trip. And watch What Not to Wear on the TLC channel. Well, not quite, but you get the point... Basically a "girly girl".

I am disgusted.

And in dire need of a foot massage.

Tumultuously Yours,
Dark & Stormy

1 comment:

Gangsta D said...

Ladies, you have my sympathies. Although, it is funny watching you walk in heels with that “If he wasn’t cute I’d be in flip flops” half grimace-half smile on your face.

I can’t believe no designer has been able to make comfortable shoes that are aesthetically pleasing. I have to imagine that person would be christened a living God if they did.