WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Friday, March 28, 2008

Steady on the grind...

It goes nine to the noon
Break
One to the five
Everybody say: wake up, work, sleep.

-Office Manager’s Anthem, The Remnant, aka my Morehouse brother and his friends

So I’ve been in the workforce for a whole two years. And I’m tired already. I mean, I'm wo' out. Ok before you think that I’ve never worked a day in my life, by workforce I mean a 9-5, gotta commute to work on the train at the same time as everybody else, get a real lunch break, an office (Praise Him!) and benefits job.

Prior to joining the workforce, I was a waitress and a bartender. I usually worked the night shift, which left me with mornings of watching Golden Girls, afternoons of going to the post office and the grocery store with the old people and days off in the middle of the week. Ahhhh the good life. But for appearances sake, (and my resume) I finally grew up and joined the workforce. And I don’t hate it. But I’m tired. Why? Because I have my own dreams and aspirations and it seems like there are not enough hours in the day.

For the first time in my life I am doing something for me. I have a dream that is all mine, and it’s not something that my parents “encouraged” me to do or instilled in me, like going to college or working. It’s what I want to do. And I want to see it to the finish line. But there’s fear. Which I’m working to overcome. There’s doubt. Which I’m not letting stop me. And there are not enough hours in the day. Which I have no control of.

I have two major goals for 2008, actually I have a slogan: Getting tight and committed to write. So, in layman’s terms, workout (consistently) and write my novel. Well it’s almost April and I’m proud to report: so far, so good. I’ve been doing boot camp at 5:30 in the morning and I am taking an African dance class with my sights on starting yoga in April. I am taking two writing classes and trying to become a more disciplined writer. I am steady on the grind. And I’m exhausted.

Cause did I mention that I also have to go to work? For 9+ hours a day. And be on time. And do work, work to get paid. And still find energy to do what I want to do. And volunteer at church. And make time to have some fun with friends. And get my eyebrows and toes done on the regular. And try to read this, so I can really start making moves. And try to find a husband. Oh wait that’s right, I’m supposed to be working on me, and my husband will come. I forgot. So, scratch that last part. But dang it, I still got lots to do!

In the song Office Manager’s Anthem (song quoted above), they also say, “clock in, you’re missing the best part of the day, clock out, your dreams get farther and farther away.” That pretty much sums up my feelings about where I am right now in life. Now that I’ve officially committed myself to accomplishing these two major tasks, it’s like now the possibility of completion seems wayyyy over there, like way past yonder and I’m wayyyy on the other side, looking through some binoculars, like I gotta go where? All the way over there? And I'm supposed to get there with just this flashlight and a compass? Lawd! And I feel like I’m making moves but am I moving? How long is this going to take? (Ok, yeah I know I really just got started-but I’m still wondering) And what if it doesn’t even work? I could be “mad” with no one but myself.

For the first time in my adult life, I am throwing everything I got into something, and for me this is a where the rubber meets the road type situation right 'chere. And I’m nervous. And I’m excited. And I’m hesitant. And I’m steadily moving. And I’m exhausted. And I’m slowly settling into (but not loving) the fact that I’m officially in the real world. Shriek! But since I know I’m not a behind the desk, in somebody’s office type for the next 30 years, I’m trying to pursue my own dreams. Squeal! And then shriek! And then deep breath. One day at a time, I remind myself. There are only 24 hours in the day. And I have to make time to work and sleep. But what I do with what’s left of that time is up to me. And I’m starting to see every extra hour as a blessing, and I’m learning not to let this time squander. Cause dammit, I got goals to attain! Steady on the grind…
That’s my time y’all! Happy Rum Punch Friday

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post, although I tend to bristle at the notion that if I choose to embrace my passion for the restaurant industry that I haven't "grown up".

I left the restaurant industry at after I got married the first time, plowing onto Captiol Hill and giving it my all until I realized that I was happier, better, wealthier, and wiser when I was back in "the business". So I went back.

I went back more mature, and maneuvered myself into a management /supervisory position where I could continue to build my experience while finishing my degree.

I can certainly understand how, if the business isnt your passion, the constant flow of cash can make you drag your feet to move forward in your dreams...trust me, I see it all too often.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

congrats hon, we should all do stuff for ourselves first

Bellini said...

ahhh..yes.. stayin' on that grind -- isn't that what life is all about. on a lighter note --yeahh... we can do yoga together. i was shooting for summer of '08 -- i'll catch up with ya!

cheers

Anonymous said...

K.I.M. said...

Welcome to your quarter life crisis.

Dark & Stormy said...

In the words of Curtis Mayfield, keep on pushin! You are a very talented writer and I've been waiting on that book for years. Nothing less than great things to come...

I'm with Bellini on the yoga. I'm ready! Y'all let me know what's up.

mint julep said...

i'll be right there, first in line at the table to have my book signed. i can see it now. keep grindin!

Dirty Red said...

Keep doing You Boo.

I feel you though. I have to get up every morning at 4:40 so that I can make it to my office by 6:30. I deal with all kinds of assholes all day because If I don't my mortgage won't get paid. I get off at 3:30, head to the office gym,(yeah, we got our own free of charge company workout facility)run on the treadmill for 35 minutes, Do a light weight-lifting session for another 35 minutes, jump in my truck, jump smack dab into traffic and get home to my surbaban enclave 45 minutes to a hour later. Then I got to hear about my wife's day and if I don't appear to intersted, I get "you don't pay enoungh attention to me" line. So Boo I totally feel you about being exhausted. But keep your head right where it is. You will meet all your goals, and the man of your dreams will find you. My grandmother always says the only way to find something is not to look for it. But the good ole days when all you had to do was go to school and to clubs look mighty good right about now though, huh?

Rum Punch said...

@ the ink - I'm glad you enjoyed the post! I understand your sentiments, my aunt has been in the restaurant industry for 25+ years and she loves it and she's great at what she does! It's because of her that I started in the food industry, and please believe if push came to shove I can always fall back on bartending-I can still make a damn good long island & dirty martini, but for me, it was the easy route, the quick/easy money with minimal effort and my skills weren't really being put to use. It was comfortable and I wasn't realizing my full potential. But sometimes I do miss the extra cash!

@ Torrance Stephens bka All-Mi-T - Thank you!

@ anonymous - Quarter life crisis, indeed! But I feel like I am turning a corner, is that light I see?

@ Bellini & D&S - Well, I shall keep y'all posted on the yoga. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement...

@ Mint Julep - Awwww....Love it!

@ Dirty Red - PREACH! I think you hit all the major points/feelings/emotions...
Especially taking me back down memory lane when life was just school and partying! Growing up is hard to do!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

ps morehouse class of 84 here, that should get me on your blog roll