WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Puedes oir me ahora?

Hola! Que pasa ya’ll?

Okay, so my title is supposed to say Can you hear me now. I apologize to all the Spanish speakers of the world if I used the wrong word or I didn’t conjugate correctly. I was trying not to use that ghetto Spangish that comes out after a few Mojitos where I just add an "o" to everythingo. Plus, it has been a minute since my introduction to Spanish in the seventh grade. Though I really should be a fluent speaker by now considering that I live in the Virginia part of the DC metro area. Everything in my barrio is in Spanish and then English. No seriously, it is. The ATM at 7-11 asks me if I want to complete my transaction in Spanish and underneath that English is offered. Say what now? Now you know just by following the rules of the alphabet something is wrong with that one.

And speaking of my previous miseducation, I remember learning about the adventures of Lewis and Clark, and the Louisiana Purchase with a little Manifest Destiny peppered in for flavor. I also remember my teacher stating that if it weren’t for the English coming over and doing the darn thing we’d all be speaking Spanish right now. Ha! Clearly I am a child of the 80s and my teacher would never have a job as a psychic friend. Times they are a changing mi amigos.

This past weekend I was wandering around my town when I realized I was thirsty. I went into a little restaurant called Chicken Granjero. Please picture with me families (this includes parents, an elderly member-possibly a grandparent, and a boatload of kids at least 3) dining on seasoned chicken, ensalada and Inca Cola. There was joy, balloons and chicken skin in the air. So I’m standing in line and all the transactions ahead of me are being conducted in Spanish. This really is common place where I’m from so I wasn’t stressing because usually when I approach the clerk gets their bilingual skills on and addresses me in English. But on this fair day in April things weren’t going down like that. “Hola” she said. This was cool because there are Spanish speakers of African lineage, so she could have thought I was one of those. But then I said, “Hi, I would like a lemonade” And then there was silence, followed by the scrunching of her face, the tilting of her head and her uttering the word “Que?”

What. Da. Hell?

Now this is not about how I feel about immigration, illegal or otherwise. I’ll have ya’ll know that some of my best friends are native Spanish speakers…okay that’s a lie. But I do enjoy the people and their many different cultures (read: unlike my Granny, I know they aren’t all Mexicans). I love salsa music, dance, and sauce. I feel a childhood isn’t complete without the memory of blindly swinging at a giant donkey piñata full of candy. I do enjoy watching Telemundo (I’m also part of the
REC). And I know for a fact that “I Love Lucy” would have sucked if it weren’t for Ricky Ricardo and his rendition of “Babalu”.

Yet, I feel some type of way about happened to me on Saturday, and really what’s been happening a lot lately. Like I’m the one who’s wrong for daring to communicate in English. Are things shifting to the point that I need to look for “Yes, we speak English signs”? Maybe. I mean, for some reason America doesn’t have an
official language, I guess for the sake of the melting pot. So can I really be mad? But it’s just interesting that many different people have come to these shores and opted to subscribe to culture Americana (read: mainstream) and adopt English as their tongue…yet with these hermanos y hermanas I’m the one being asked to change.

Hello? Or better yet, Hola?

Well in case ya’ll care, I got my lemonade. Thank goodness I know enough Spanish to function, find the nearest bathroom and say the cat wears brown hats. But can I just mention that when a White couple walked in, heard everyone speaking Spanish, they gave me, the Black girl, a knowing and annoyed look before they turned around and walked out. I guess they hadn’t heard that there’s a new language in town…

See You In Seven

5 comments:

Bellini said...

Hola chica.
Your post reminds me of an experience I encountered a few years ago in the Maryland suburb of Gaithersburg. I was placing a take-out order at a Peruvian restaurant (Mi Peru) and the cashier spoke nan english. My difficulties arose when I had to specify my toppings (i.e bell peppers). So, I call our mutual friend -- who will remain nameless --let's just say he is of Spanish and black and straddles both worlds when convienent for him -- that fool gave me the kitchen spanish. His ass was no help.

Anonymous said...

LOL at the fact that you felt like you needed to tell us how much you love Spanish culture…I was cracking up because I know you DO. (Side note: margaritas for sure 6/14 on the day of carnival) It was like my special friends saying I like rap music, watermelon and fried chicken…lol.

Anyway you know that just happened to me last week, when someone approached to find out the name of my dog…really? I look like I speak the language?

Oh…Geno’s Steaks got mad press about this…he refused to accept orders in any other language than English. Immigrants was talking about boycotting but to be honest, how had is it to order a steak in English? Wouldn’t you want the man to understand your order?

I am not sure if the language spoken in country is a mandate as much as how the growing population chooses to communicate. Is it possible for the number one language in the Unites States to be Spanish? Hmm…think generations ahead. Will I be writing my comment in Spanish when I am 90?

No sé! Tendremos que ver. ;)

[flahy] [blak] [chik] said...

No hablo espanol...

Je parle francais tres bien...

I grew up in an area were the population was mainly Latino & West Indian..but I can't speak a lick of Spanish at all. My maternal grandparents never taught my mother Spanish when they came over from Belize, so therefore she never taught me....I picked up the pieces I do know from my best friend who's Colombian.

I don't have a problem with the US being a bi-lingual country BUT I still think as a requirement for citizenship you should have ESL classes.

At one point in my career, I was an HR Director for a large hospitality corp. and I put forth an initiative where at every hotel location that there would be an ESL class for the employees, whether they spoke an African language or Latin language. It definitely did improve morale within the employees, especially since they didn't have to pay for the classes on their own...and it was convenient for them.

Anonymous said...

ok LOL!!! I swear you must live in my old neighborhood! Arlington or Falls Church?!1?

Anywhoo! I think it's insane that when I applied for a job they called me and the FIRST question out their mouth was, do you speak FLUENT Spanish?! QUE? Come again! I didn't know I was applying for a job in Mexico! wtf! I was heated! So you overlooked all of my qualifications because I don't speak FLUENT Spanish! psssht!

Amaretto said...

@Bellini-Oh no! Not the Espanol de Cucina?! That's the distant cousin to my mojito induced ghetto Spanglish!

@Mjr-Banx-Well you know I had to do it like our Anglo brethren so no one could possibly doubt that I wasn't well meaning in my ignorant statements.

@FBChick-Your program sounds like it helped bring unity to your company. Maybe the fact that the classes were free made people more willing. I don't know, it seems like some just aren't willing and want me to be cool with that. And I ain't!

@*B-It's Arlington, Southside! Go Warriors! If I had prizes I'd give you one, but alas. Your tale sounded like grounds to sue somebody for something!