WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Friday, May 2, 2008

No More Mr. Nice Guy?

Everybody wants a superstar
who got cars and ice
walks into the ghetto get pussy bar
makes all the girls look think twice
yeah sista he got money and thangs
but is he nice for you

High Post Brotha, Jill Scott


Nice\’nis\ adj 1. PLEASING, AGREEABLE, DELIGHTFUL 2. AMIABLY PLEASANT; KIND 3. REFINED IN MANNERS, LANGUAGE, ETC., 4. VIRTOUS; RESPECTABLE 5. SUITABLE OR PROPER


So my friends and I are leaving brunch on Sunday and we get stopped at the door by a group of guys who invite us to a weekly event they host, a discussion group on male/female relationships. We start talking about said event, its purpose and then the conversation veers to that age old question: what do women really want? These men looked us straight in the face and said: “Y’all say you want a nice man. But y’all really want a bad boy.” The three of us looked at each other and said to them, “We want nice men.” We were met with protests and anecdotal stories of women who are apparently saying one thing while seeking/dating/marrying another. So I finally asked, “Who are these heffas? And why are they messing it up for the rest of us?”

I’m not joking. Somewhere along the way the nice man became the punk. The men at the restaurant told us that while we say we want a nice man, we don’t want a nice man in every aspect of life, for instance in the bedroom. We don’t want someone who’s asking please at every turn. So in essence, they said, we still want a bad boy. I’m sorry, come again. Is there no room for a happy medium? Can’t a man still be nice and be able to put it down in the bedroom? We then had to provide definitions of nice vs. bad boy, since apparently there is no in between.

Nice to me means someone who is considerate and respectful. When I say I want a nice man, I mean someone who is a genuinely nice person, someone who takes my interests and feelings to heart, the same way I would his. I want someone who is respectful of me not just as a woman (his woman), but also of the relationship. Someone who will be honest with me, won’t play games with me, and won’t intentionally hurt me. Because let’s be honest, everyone doesn’t have nice as a character trait. Some people have to work at it. Some people are just selfish. Some people are straight up assholes.

Now, onto the bad boy definition. At the restaurant we ladies were characterizing bad boys as those without steady jobs and knowledge of 401ks. But all joking aside, it also is more about their treatment of a woman. To me a “bad boy” is someone who has run through women literally and figuratively and never learned how or cared to know how to treat a woman right, never learned about the essence and importance of wooing and courting a lady. It is someone who is looking out for number one and has too many ulterior motives to consider someone else’s feelings.

I think a lot of men fall in between too nice and bad boy. So what is the word for that? Human? When I say I want a nice man, I mean it. Or do I? The other day my male co-worker came into my office. He is nice. LOL! Soft spoken, considerate, intelligent, a hard worker, seems to have a plan. But as he was sitting there telling me about the women he’s dating, and I thought to myself, uh oh he is too nice! And then I thought, “Dammit Rum Punch this is going against everything you wanna write about in your post.” But hear me out. He is telling me about how he wined and dined a woman for Valentine’s Day, I mean took her to dinner, got a hotel room, decorated it with candles and rose petals and then had the spa staff come to give her a mani, pedi and massage. And then he sneaks into the conversation: “But we didn’t do anything after that, she was too tired.” Hmmm… And then he tells me about how he offered to give $200 to this other woman he’s talking to for her graduation photos (from college y’all, from college). So I sat there looking at him, thinking that these women are taking his kindness as weakness and punking the shit outta him. And instead of a. admitting that they’re probably really not attracted to him, or b. seriously enjoying his affections and appreciating the treatment, they look him right in his face and say, “I can’t be in a relationship with you, you’re too nice!”

And this is what’s fucking up the game! This too nice mess. What the hell is too nice? Seriously, ladies, I don’t think that we should share these inner thoughts with men. Why? Because now too many of them are walking around, moping, like, “The nice guy finishes last.” Or they just start snapping on you like, “Y’all don’t want a nice man,” and then go out and kill five people and rob a liquor store to compete for our affection.

I also think as I write this and talk with my mother about it, too many women are choosing not to be grown. They are purposefully playing games and testing these men, like let me see how much I can get, how much I can challenge him, how many times I can work my neck and snap on him. It’s like they want to push a man just far enough to see if he’s gonna come at her and choke her and once he raises his hands to her throat, she’ll know that he’s not just nice.

I mean my daddy is a nice, easy going, affable, man, but cross him and he will hurt you. I asked my mom, “How did you know that daddy could go from nice to kick yo’ ass in 0 to 60 seconds?” And she says because when she met him, he was already a grown ass man and she knew that he would take care of his household. She didn’t have to try him to see if he could handle the position, his actions and their conversations showed her that he would and could.

I wonder how other women are measuring a man. What is their measuring stick? Have they/we gotten so conditioned to bullshit that when a really nice guy comes our way we don’t believe it or know how to react to it? Are we always waiting for the other shoe to drop? If we proclaim ourselves to be nice women, then is it so hard to believe that there might also be nice men in this world? Shouldn’t niceness beget niceness?

Seriously ladies, we are gonna have to have a Come to Jesus meeting about this one. We are gonna have to gather all our sistas together and come to a consensus about what we want or keep our mouths closed about it. Cause I don't want anyone speaking for me. Cause if I hear another man tell me one mo’ gin, that I don’t want a nice man. I’m going to scream. And then I’m going to ask, “Says who?”

So, it’s Friday y’all! We encourage you to come out of lurker status, and tell the 5, about your criteria for a nice guy/bad boy. Men, what do you think about this whole situation? Do nice guys really finish last?

That’s my time y’all! Happy Rum Punch Friday!

9 comments:

Gangsta D said...

The thing that kills me is, I’ve heard women say “I want a guy with a little thug in him.” WTF is that?!? How can you have a “little thug” in you? “Well he pushes and shakes me, but he’s never hit me!” That makes no sense.

Women want a strong man. But I think part of the problem is that some women confuse strong with macho; nice with weak. A guy can be nice, but strong. And a guy can be macho, but weak. It all comes down to what the woman’s definition of strong is. Is a strong man one that is always 20 seconds from fighting and suffers no fools? Or is a strong man one that can hold a family together in a crisis? Obviously those two examples aren’t mutually exclusive, but it seems like women sometimes think the former is a direct correlation to the latter.

Rum Punch said...

@ gangsta d - You have dropped some jewels! Yeah I've heard the a little thug thing as well. And I too don't get it. I mean I would like to feel secure that my man can defend me if we go into a dark alley, but I'm not gonna be like "have you ever been shot at? Can you prove your street cred?" Which leads into your point about the definition of a strong man...I mean I look at the men that I admire, who are married and raising kids, and they are strong men because of their committment to their families. And they make it clear to anyone trying to step to them and challenge that peace, 'don't start none, won't be none...'

Anonymous said...

I don't have any real criteria. I've heard this conversation come up time and again, but I can only speak from my own point of view.

Do I want a nice man? Yes and no. Do I want a bad boy? A little bit. It's the happy medium you were talking about. I want a man that can hold both traits without letting it define him one way or another.

Watching my guy friends, I think it's easier for them to define based on one of those two categories. Most of them mistake "nice" as "doormat" and the bad boys just fly through stupid situations to be able to carry some drama (to get some street cred? I don't know).

Personally, I can say that the words bad boy and nice do not come up in a conversation about what I want, when it happens. I usually list of words like good sense of humor, painfully funny, loves to eat, and laid back. Ideally, I just assume that it goes without saying that I want someone considerate, but can hold his own in an argument against me or anyone else without being an asshole.

Anonymous said...

I have heard this statement way to many times. Also I have seen women keep the 'nice guy' as her friend and get in a relationship with the 'bad boy'.

Your mother said it best. I want a 'grown ass man'. He knows when to be a 'nice guy' or a 'bad boy' at the right time. The 'grown ass man' is the happy medium you are speaking of.

Anonymous said...

The "I-want-a-bad-boy" comments are soooo lame to me right about now. What are we, teenagers?!
What a REAL WOMAN wants is a REAL MAN. The definition of A real man is not going to be the same for every woman.
Some words that IMMEDIATELY come to mind (for MY definition of a REAL MAN):
Kind, Respectful, Employed, Mature yet Humorous, Family-Oriented, Sexually-compatible, Responsible, Tender, Generous, Honest, FUN, Thoughtful, Intelligent…and
(yes, Rum Punch) N-I-C-E!
With that being said, these little girls need to stop speaking on behalf of grown women!
Because my circle of "keeping-it-real-grown-women" don't want ANY parts of the bad boy bullshiz.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

dont let others change what u know is right

Skoolboi Krush said...

I think a lot of women have relationship A.D.D.. They get bored quickly with what they perceive as a nice guy. The bad boy seems to be interesting and keeps them on their toes. Six months later, they are wishing they had stayed with the "nice guy" all along. Bottom line, it's a bunch of people who don't know themselves enough to know what they really want.

Rum Punch said...

@ alice - Welcome! You made some exellent points and I like how you said that some things should just go w/out having to be said. The norms of what you want from a man...

@ honey deveraux - I concur! Grown ass man, please!

@ mrs meany -Thank you for your comment! And that was a very good list! Yes, our definitions are all going to be different which is why it sticks in my craw when guys are like, "you don't want a nice man..." Like you said these men must not have met a grown ass woman yet cause I don't have time for silliness...

@ torrance - Oh my mind is stayed on getting a nice man. Believe that.

@ skoolboi - Welocme! It's interesting that you mention women getting bored quickly. I remember reading an article on the women who wrote the Guide to being a B.A.P. book and they were saying they were all married to professional, every day men. And the author of the piece was like, "in comparison to what the book was about, that sounded boring." And they were pretty much all like, is you crazy? Boring is where it's at, in the sense that they had "good" men and lives w/out tons of drama. But then again that's another example of grown ass women.

Anonymous said...

I always wanted a nice guy who is all around a THOROUGH dude, that doesn't mean thug and it doesn't mean someone who is a sucker- that any half way decent looking brawd can flunk- your co worker is pathetic. THOROUGHNESS is confused with thug I think by alot of women.