WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Friday, July 18, 2008

Great Expectations

I usually don’t dip my toes into the political water as I try to leave that up to the professionals like Bellini. LOL! But during this political season, several things have given me pause, especially when it relates to Obama. But in an effort to be brief I will just focus on two of them. And what I’m about to write isn’t really about the O man himself (since I’ve been there done that), but more about the public and its perceptions of him, his policies, his commitment to the people, his ability to feed the masses with five loaves, two fishes, a smile and jazz hands. So here is what has baffled me the most:

1. Some Black Folk
If I hear another Black person talk about how they thought this country had come so far, or they never thought this country could be so racist, or those days are supposed to be over, or it’s not fair how Bracky O is getting treated, I am seriously, for real, for real going to scream. I have heard it from Black folk of all ages. And it leaves me with a where did this Black person come from feeling. I mean I know the man has gotten farther than many of us ever imagined, but let’s not forget this is the good ol’ US of A. Somewhere in all of our excitement at the idea of history being made, we done lost our minds.

I don’t know how things went down in y’alls households, but here’s what my mama would say to me and my brother when we were coming up: I don’t put nothing past white folks. Now what does this mean? Does this mean that we didn’t have white friends? No, of course not. Does this mean that we were taught that there are no “good” white people in the world? No, of course not. Does this mean that we were taught that all white people are the devil? Well... No, I’m kidding, dear white readers (all 3 of y’all), we were not taught that white people are the devil. But like I recently heard Diamond aka Neesee aka LisaRaye on an All Of Us episode say, we were taught, “to watch our front, back, and sometimes they come from the left.”

Of course this doesn’t mean I live my life full of suspicion waiting for some white person to come twist a knife in my back or take my land, but, um, er, I ain’t no fool. Nothing white people do surprises me: good, bad or evil. When they dress up in “ghetto” costumes and black face for Halloween, while so many of us are getting upset I am not shocked. I am mostly amused. But mainly at our reactions. When they use the "N" word, I am not astonished. I’m wondering what took them so long. When they use scare tactics like having a blonde haired white woman tell Harold Ford Jr., to “call her,” on a television commercial at the height of his historic Senate race, that recall old school fears and stereotypes, I am ready for it. I don’t like it. But I’m ready for it. And I’m not ready to let my guard down. Call it paranoia. Call it a refusal to let go of the past. But whatever you call it, I won't be surprised at anything that happens in the Fall.

2. Everybody else
Recently on the Tom Joyner Morning Show a Muslim American from some non profit/non partisan group was being interviewed saying that he took issue with the way Obama is denying that he is not a Muslim. The man said, “He shouldn’t just say that he’s not a Muslim. He should also say, ‘But if I were there would be nothing wrong with that.’ He’s making it seem like it’s not good to be a Muslim.” Now as I’ve expressed, I’m no Obamaholic, but man heavy is the head that’s trying to wear the crown! You want him to do alladat? You realize he’s running for President of the United States, right? Heh, heh. That line works on more than just Black people I see.

So the guy was talking bout Muslims might not support Obama now. And of course Joyner and Co. were on some but what about how McCain thinks/treats/supports Muslims? Ok if I remembered anything from my argumentation class I would know exactly what kind of argument this is, but since I don’t, I’ll just say that this is a silly argument to me because McCain is not running on the Hope/Change/There are no red states or blue states just purple states/We all in this together Express. You pretty much know what you’re going to get from the Republican Party: White men, their wives, and a few “special” minorities who have lost their way. I kid Black conservatives. Obama has been stamped as the inclusive candidate which only leads to trouble because then everyone thinks they’re, well included. Until they find out that they’re not. Because in reality no one can be all things to all people. And when that reality is finally revealed those people want to go get all get mad and act betrayed. Apparently they didn’t get the memo that someone was going to come up with the short end of the stick. And it’s usually minorities: in terms of race, religion, and economics. But maybe they never thought they would be the ones who were going to be forced to pick that short stick. Sucks doesn’t it?

Now some people (cough Bellini cough) might label me a cynic. I prefer to call myself a realist. Maybe it's because in my voting lifetime I’ve never been fully ride or die for a candidate, so I don’t know the thrill of hitching my wagon to someone’s star, and taking that magical carpet ride to victory. But I do know that I recently read that every movement begins in idealism, turns into a business, and ends up as a racket. Chew on that. And as I watch and hear some people become slightly disillusioned with yo' mama's favorite candidate, (I’ve even heard some use that clichéd well he’s the lesser of two evils line-now when did he become that), I like this New York Times writer wonder what everyone was expecting. Cause I'm still waiting for this water I'm drinking to turn to wine!

That’s my time y’all! Happy Rum Punch Friday!

5 comments:

Bellini said...

Rum Punch you have lost your mind. You know me better than to believe the hype. But as a child of history (black, American, political,etc.) I understand that the "O" has the goods-- I knew that back in '04 during the DNC convention that I watched while i vacationed in the Bahamas. The wonderful thing about "O"'s candidacy is that there are no surprises--so spare us with those Christ comparisons and stop that damn "jazz hands". Everything the right wing, GOP, adversaries in general (white, black, & indifferent (that's you Rum Punch)) feel, state, believe is not new. He understands that, so where past and other candidates have failed (Harold Ford imo he allowed the GOP to clown him w/o expressing acknowledgment beforehand that their asses were and are simple and would pull some bullshit)-- i don't see Barack failing in that way. The brillancy about his campaign and this election is that there's nothing new under sun, he actually knows what's he up against and he's like bring it-- 'cuz i'm here for the duration. You gotta love it! Read your post again --- you're a cynic of dynamic proportions!

PUBLIC PSA: Please don't sip on nothing Rum Punch has or is drinkin' -- cheers!

Rum Punch said...

@ Bellini -I will not stop w/ the Jazz hands or the Christ comparisons, because unlike you I have heard some people think that everything is about to CHANGE when Obama gets elected. Ask them how, ask them what change, and they have no response. Trust me, I think Obama is brilliant, intelligent, and has run an excellent campaign. But just because you are looking at this thing w/ eyes wide open doesn't mean everyone else is. And that is why now some people are upset that he is "flip flopping" (not that I think he is) or not giving everyone what they want. Some people who supported him went in with HUGE expectations, and now the shine is starting to fade. I have nothing against Obama, everyday he's hustlin, hustlin, hustlin, but what makes me laugh are the people who forgot that he was a politician and running for POTUS.

Anonymous said...

I loved this piece!

IntrospectiveGoddess said...

My stance with Obama is one of indifference....I havent followed his campaign at all but as Rum Punch said ask someone about why they are voting for him or how he is going to bring about change and you cant get a concrete answer...Obama is not running for the next messiah or the next civil rights leader..he is running for President and I think during all this Obama hoopla people have forgotten that, I dont put nothing past Obama because he is a politician plain and simple and he is going to play the game like everyone else....

Anonymous said...

I feel you on your stance about people placing blind hope in a politician. I understand people are always looking for some kind of hope but until they realize you gotta draw that from yourself, they'll get suckered into believing a politician can make their lives better. No disrespect to Barack, but Democrats & Republicans one and the same.