WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Thursday, July 3, 2008

a peek into mint julep's mixtape vol. 1

For those of you that don't know, I'm a huge music head. I will bump some random and obscure artists long before or after anyone has heard of them. In particular, I'm partial to jazzy soul vocalists who sing about love life and the Lord.

For exmaple, Kierra "KiKi" Sheard/Kim Burrell/Lisa McClendon/Tweet/Amil Larriuex/Faith Evans/Anthony David/Darien Brockington/Maxwell/Teedra Moses/Bilal/Karen Clark Sheard/J. Moss/Anthony Hamilton/Algebra/Donny Hathaway/Marvin Gaye/Earth Wind & Fire/Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes/The Clark Sisters are some of my favorites and that's only like a sliver of what I likes. I could go on and on...

and introducing Jazmine Sullivan!

Some folks are just now getting to know Ms. Sullivan but I first heard of about her in 2006. My little sister hipped me to her after she found her on youtube (gotta love it). At first, I looked at Babysista skeptically because I basically taught her everything she knows about soul music. Her music selections used to be limited to Master P and the Cash Money Clique before I opened her mind to the power of soulful sounds.

But once I took a listen, I had to hand it to Babysista. Jazmine Sullivan, to use an overused cliche, is da TRUTH! Straight vocals, no synthesized chasers. She first came to the spotlight as a youngster on the Apollo Kids Amateur Hour. She brought down the house with "Accept What God Allows." Check it out...

Of course, she went through all the failed deals and disappoints that any young artist has to overcome on their way to widespread exposure. But this time, I think she's really about to blow up since they are playin her single, "I Need You Bad," on the radio from New York to New Orleans.

And that isn't even her best work. Check out "I'm In Love With Another Man," "Round Midnight," "Resentment," "Make You Stay," and her versions of Andre 3000's "Prototype" and Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On." Fiyah! I'll leave ya'll with some video of her playin around in the studio. Loves it!

5 comments:

Southern_Lady said...

Yep, Jazmine is the ish. I've been on her for a minute. I have a mixed CD I made for driving with all of her songs that I could find on it. My favs are "I'm in Love With Another Man" and "Round Midnight."

Her voice is amazing. Thanks for the videos.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love jazzmine sullivan, her voice is so soulful, I heard about her through another blog renaissance black woman, i love in love with another man and her version of resentment, its another song she did that sampled that blue magic song sideshow thats hot too.....and whats that song she i singing on the video of her in the studio that sounds hot too...

IntrospectiveGoddess

quarter-life-crisis said...

Its giving me the vibes of Lauryn Hill. Liking it.

Eb the Celeb said...

I love jazmine... they just released the video for i need u bad... and i love it...

in love with another man still stays in heavy rotation... project is suppose to drop in september and I cant wait

mint julep said...

@all, glad y'all enjoyed my unpaid promotions. keep real music alive!

@anon, i don't know what that song is in the studio but yes, i'm lovin it, even the snippets.

@eb the celeb, that's for the heads up, i didn't know the video for need u bad was released