WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Middle School Musical

Waaaaaay back in 2004, my cousin and I were cruising back to DC from New Jersey when the radio DJ announce that they were going to play the old school jam of the day. Now normally when it comes to the Old School portion of a disc jockey's mix mastering I would turn the station. No disrespect to the true hippity hop fans out there, but I ain't never trying to hear the good Rev Run, before he got saved, singing about shoes! So please imagine my shock and shagrin when we heard Snoop Doggy Dog's Gin and Juice.







Saaaay Whaaaat? Remember that ya'll?! When did a song that was part of my childhood soundtrack become old school?! I mean I remember being in my room with headphones plugged into my radio so my parents couldn't hear me listening to some dude from some place called Long Beach California singing about smoking and drinking! How dare that DJ call this song that introduced surban America to the wonderfulness that became gansta rap!




Old school? Yeah right! But now that we have the Death of Autotunes and the likes of Lil Wayne helping to raise and maintain the South once again I long for that music from the middle. Now anyone who knows me knows that my true muscial love lie back in the day with the grown folks music, like the Stylisitics, the Delfonics, Ojays and of course the elements. But when I want to act my age and not like my parents I need that early to mid ninties music!



I need Biggie and Junior Mafia!


Before Puffy (or whatever he's calling himself these days) fell in love with suits that shone!

I need Nas before his beef with J when he was still Illmatic!

Lauryn pre craziness (check Rum's post from January 30th)





She can either be with the Fugees or doing her solo thang!



And what ever happened to Total? SWV?

And I'm not gonna lie, Brandy was like one of my favorites before her hairline started to scare me!

The Lost Boys with the Lex, Coupe, Bemmas and the Benz!

Tupac!





Do I need to say more?


Oh how I could go on and on about how great the music was back then. Not quite old school. But much better than most of the stuff that's out today! I am a girl from the middle school! Where we wore flannel shirts, white tank tops with baggy jeans, where were started get classy and buying Louis Bags. Oh, I missed the middle school, there the music was juuuust right!

See You In Seven

3 comments:

CapriceClassic said...

Yeah Girl, you old now, lol. But uh, Gin and Juice was not the introduction of gansta rap - NWA's "Fuck the Police" was the intro - Snoop just followed suit cause Dre (an original member of NWA) was the producer.

But yeah, everything else is right, lol.

Anonymous said...

Amen! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Amaretto said...

@C.Classic-Am I? Well that's why I love the middle school term...I haven't fully come to grips yet! Thanks for my hip-hop education, maybe next time I'll ace the test! It began with NWA! Got it!

@Anon-There is room at the pulpit for you too! We can give a series of sermons in which we try to speculate what Soldja Boy will sing about next...milk-n-cookies? Skipping school? The Sadie Hawkins dance?