WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Friday, April 18, 2008

Two Snaps and a Neck Roll

So one day I was online looking for some more checks. Crazy right, I mean who uses checks anymore? Well, apparently I do. And since my bank, I won't say which one but let's just say it's in America, charges freakin, $22 for a box of checks, I was scouring online for some 99 cent checks. Shit. They coulda been $21 checks. But I was not giving that bank any more of my money. So as I'm browsing for the cheapest deal, I come across a set of checks called, wait for it, sista, no I'm sorry, sistas (please say it like you are a former Black Panther, down for the cause, now doing slam poetry, how you doing my sistaaaa, type voice) checks. What are sistas checks, you ask? Take a look...

And for the whole collection...

Now, I'm not one to trample on creativity. But um what the hell? Who thought this was a good idea? And who is really buying these checks? Is it not "bad" enough that people make assumptions (often correct, may I add) about our race because of our names or the inflection of our voice, now you just wanna let someone know you Black? It's like its own personal warning: please cash this check right now, if you know what's good for you. Ahhh that's wrong. And so is this.

Only because when I first told Amaretto about these checks, and I said, "the black women are doing these little poses..." And she said, "is it the hand on the hip, head cocked to one side pose? I know that pose!" And we all know that pose. But to boil that down, and then have it put on a check and then call it a sistas check is ridiculous. And too easy. And dare I say stereotypical. I mean apparently to be a sista, I either need to have a fly hat & outfit, a short little afro or a headwrap. And some a-tti-tude! Do you think I'm wrong? Here is a description that I found online (after I wrote the above sentence!): From head to toe, these phenomenal women exude confidence, style and sophistication in every way. This check has "Attitude"! Celebrate your African American heritage proudly!

Again I say, what the hell? Now I'm not going to lead my own personal boycott against sistas checks. But I do think that it's walking that fine line, of "celebrating" who we are vs. using "typical" images of Black women as a marketing technique and for profit. But maybe I'm being too sensitive. I should be proud of who I am! And race doesn't matter!* So, let me go get my headwrap out the dryer, iron my fly outfit and work out my arm for some hand hip holding and posing! Cause I'm a phenomenal woman, phenomenally, phenomenal woman, that's me!

That's my time y'all! Happy Rum Punch Friday!

*Hey, wait a minute, we haven't heard that chant in awhile... I wonder why...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Business is business and these checks go to far. Let's separate the personal from the professional here.

Nice try, but no cigar on the checks.

Amaretto said...

O.O.Kay! I see you using my catch phrase...if my life were a tv show. *Dad drank all the Kool-Aid* Two snaps and a neck roll. *Popeyes ran out of biscuits* Two snaps and a neck roll. *Store out of watermelon* Two snaps and a neck roll.

Rum, I really don't know what you are trying to say here. I know that every time I write a check at the grocery store, to pay rent, or to give my money to the Lord, I'm wearing a pink hat, pink boots and a halter top. And my hand stays on my hip! Sisssssta!

Anonymous said...

"now you just wanna let someone know you Black? It's like its own personal warning: please cash this check right now, if you know what's good for you."

AWESOME.

Anonymous said...

As a brother who was outraged at the "pose" of Lebron on the recent cover of Vogue I don't think you are being insensitive. I definitely see the point you are making. This is just one more reason for retailer to discriminate against people of color. I think some would probably upon first glance find the check to be a fraud.

BTW, I still use checks as I don't trust companies and their automatic withdrawals. Who's to say they make a mistake in the decimals and take out all of your money. Meanwhile after days of phone calls, emails and such you don't have any money in the bank because of their "little" withdrawal error. Besides most companies process checks electronically so the get their money about the same time as auto but I determine when they get it, not the other way around. Convenience does have it price.

Rum Punch said...

@ Retto - LOL! You know I love that catch phrase! It's just so apropos when talking about us, sistas...

@ Jarrod - I try... :-)

@ Chocolate Matters - Yeah, I love writing checks! Especially when I write them on a Friday, but I know they won't post until that payday Monday...But I digress. I agree that this is another way for the retailer to discriminate against us. It ain't right. But we haven't changed the world yet...

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

i think the checks are tight. i love them

OUR VAGINAS ARE HAVING A QUARTER-LIFE CRISIS. said...

Is it wrong that I found this hilarious?

Anonymous said...

I don't think the maker meant any harm, but many people mean no harm and do plenty.
Would it be problematic if the checks featured some other type of African American art that's more classic like an Ellis Wilson or Jonathon Greene print?

Rum Punch said...

@ textibionist - No, not wrong at all. :-)

@ a - Welcome! Tell your friends about us! Well, I should probably have prefaced the entire post by saying that I was taught that checks should be blank and "regular". My mom considered anything more than that to be tacky. But I am a Leo and love the flair, so I've always wanted a little bit of a design on my check but nothing over the top. In my quest to find checks that could meet this balance, I saw so many interesting designs. One had a big picture of Jesus, a white Jesus of course but Jesus nonetheless. So, I don't know how I would feel if the checks had a more "classic" design. I think a part of me thinks that pictures/art work on checks is just over the top. And when it's images like sistas checks, that just takes it to a whole 'nother level.