WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

You're My Little Secret

So they are finally getting that Sex and the City Movie made and released. Okay! Two cheers for reconciliation between Sarah and Kim…all for the greater good of dollar, dollar bills ya’ll! Let the debauchery begin! *humming the theme the song in my head* Let the ugly clothes be paraded-
Yikes! Get me my cosmopolitan and let Carrie annoy with her questions until the end of time… Go Samantha, get your freak on! Go Charlotte, get you a baby! Go Miranda, you’re a lesbian!

But truth be told, I, like Oprah, love that show. And once it started getting played on the WB, er a CW it made it hard to go to bed before 11. I mean I just had to know what compromising positions those gals were going to get into next. Like when Carrie walked in on Samantha giving the delivery guy a blow job. Hilarious! Carrie dating the Russian…early bird specials anyone? That relationship was just nasty. Or when Charlotte dated that man who was more feminine than she. Tee hee! And how about Miranda pretending she was gay to get ahead at her law firm… Art imitating life? Hmmmmm.

But one of the bestest episodes, in my own personal opinion, was that one about secret single behavior (SSB).
Sometimes, as I sit in my room combing my hair so it sticks up like a troll doll (hey, it's lucky), I wonder at what point does a person care and share some of the things they do when no one is watching? I know I like eating peanut butter and jelly directly out of the jar. And I play the same song on my CD player back to back for about an hour. Why? Because I have to sing along. Then create an interpretive dance. And then sing and dance at the same time for my adoring fan base comprised of stuffed animals and pillows. And don’t get me started on playing dress up in my own clothes. Or the fact that sniff tests are conducted more often than I care to admit when deciding what to wear. None of these things I think are weird, like sleeping with a raw chicken under my pillow, but how will I be able to hide these truths, that are bound to be self evident? What happens to SSB when a single becomes part of a couple? Does SSB dry up like a raisin in the sun? Or fester like a sore- Maybe it just sags like a heavy load. Yes, that was shameless borrowing from a much greater writer.

So what are some of your SSBs? Do you share them or not? If you do, at what point do you put yourself out there?

Ponder, marinate…or better yet comment.

See You in Seven

4 comments:

Rum Punch said...

LOL! I have been single for so long I'm not sure if I'll even know how to act around someone else and do things like share or listen or be thoughtful. But I digress. I don't know if I have really weird SSBs. But here they are:
1. I totally feel you on the music thing. I can play a song over and over and over until I learn the main vocals, background vocals, intstrumental parts/breakdowns, so that for the grand finale(s) I can do all three parts sometimes all at the same time, sometimes I like to alternate.
2. I like to scoop peanut butter and then strawberry jelly out of their respective jars on the same spoon, so I can have the illusion of a PBJ sandwich.
3. I can spend the entire Saturday watching a Bravo reality show marathon. Top Chef, check. Housewives of [Enter City Here], check. Millionaire Matchmaker, check. I will lay on the couch all day and let my brain turn to mush. So please don't bother me, don't question why I'm watching that mess. It will get you nowhere.
4. I like to listen to music and dance while I clean. I mean two step and fake hand dance with the broom. Make up a whole combination. This is really just procrastination and avoidance. But yeah don't be surprised if you see me doing it.

Dark & Stormy said...

Amaretto & Rum Punch, y'all are killing me! LMAO! Might as well add to the list:
1. Walk around naked or half naked (top/no bottom or no top/bottom). I get hot flashes when I sleep, so I pull stuff off in the middle of the night. When I wake up I may start a pot of coffee, grab a snack, watch a little TV, and who knows what else before I start getting dressed again.
2. Dance. HARD. Like I'm on an episode of Soul Train in the 60s or 70s when folks didn't think they were too cute to cut a rug. 80% of the moves never make it out my front door.
3. I still sleep with a teddy bear. Every night.

mint julep said...

it's been so long since i actually lived "alone" what with the ole' man roomate and my cousin nem...but that's a post for another day.

i can't really think of any of my SSBs that are especially atrocious or mayhap i just have no shame and will do anything in front of a man if i'm comfortable enough to let him in my house. by that point, i feel like he should know me and be comfortable with all my quirks. and it's too much damn work to be holding in my farts in my sleep and not singing along to the same 5 songs back to back to back.
1. i

Big Man said...

For a married man this is highly entertaining.