WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Amaretto Says: See It!

On Friday the Vice President of my department called a staff meeting from 11am until the end of the day (which VP believes is 5 even on a Friday). Well I’ve shared with you all before how meetings around these parts typically go, so understand that everyone was rumbling and grumbling about the impending summit. So I got my pen out ready to doodle as the VP shared the sate of the business, which…if a Magic 8 Ball could tell us any and everything, would have read that our outlook was not positive. But as a token of appreciation, Mr. Veep brought (well let’s be real the company bought) tickets for us to see The Dark Knight, complete with money for concessions. So what did Amaretto learn from yet another meeting? Recession? Smecession! Let’s go out to the movies and buy ourselves a treat!

Does it sound like I’m braggin’? I hope so, because I am. Only because I was pleasantly surprised by the VP and the movie, not because I’m a jerk or anything. And it turns out the TDK was a good flick, a little lengthy but the hype can be believed. So I was telling my friend about my Friday afternoon delight and he was all salty. Then because we had run out of things to talk about, we started making lists of movies every man, woman and black person should see in their lifetime. And because today is a slow news day, Imma share my list (in no particular order) of movies I think everyone should see.

Drum Roll Please….

Girls Behaving Badly: Kill Bill Vol I
I love wiggling my big toe. It’s just awesome this movie, Vol II? Not so much. I say see it, not because you’ll be wondering if Uma Thurman is really as pretty as people say or think, but because the fight scenes are just that fabutron!

Feel Good: Shawshank Redemption
This is one of the Bestest movies ever! Talk about transcending race to forge a friendship. This movie is so good I sometimes want them to make it a sequel or a franchise or an epic a la “Star Wars” or “The Mummy”. But if they did that it would just ruin it. And Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are just too classy to go for that.

The Musical: The Sound of Music
Sorry J Hud, “Dreamgirls” don’t get it! Everyone needs to see this movie! Hello? There would be no Gwen Stefani “Wind it Up” video if it weren’t for Maria and the Von Tramp clan. I love, I LOVE this movie! Even though it’s about an Austrian Family it really is a little piece of Americana! Do, a Deer a female deer. Ra a drop of golden sun… These are a few of my Favorite Things. In the end, it had me wanting to make a dress from some curtains.

A Drama: The Godfather I and II
I mean I don’t think I need to explain this one. One of the most quoted movies of all time! To the Mattresses! It’s nothing Personal Just Business! Just when I thought I was out… And something about an offer. My heart melts when Sonny gets it in Far Rockaway. And GF II shows us how it all began! Is there a better scene when Michael becomes the Don and closes the door on Dianne Keaton’s face as his ring gets kissed? Is there?

Documentary: We Are Together
It’s about a South African family affected by the HIV and AIDs epidemic. Wow, there were so many tears ya’ll, so many tears. But if you can’t find it because it’s one of those Independent fru-fru things then go on and support "Fahrenheit 9-11" and get a laugh at the President.

The Black Experience: The Color Purple
Now granted we’ve traded our farmland in for pennies and the appeal of the big cities and now the suburbs, but I think this movie showed the multi faceted world of Black folks even though it was set in the 1930s. You got your church folks, your juke joint goers, your abusers and endurers. You got your fools and your wise ones. And you got White folks making Sofia work for them after they put her in jail…Now if that’s not the Black Experience then have Soledad give me a call!

A Good Tee Hee: Friday

Smokey. Need I say more? I do? Well you ain’t got to lie Craig. Puff, Puff Give Man, puff puff Give! Oh Chris Tucker, before you found the Lawd and Jackie Chan…you was one funny dude! And you were the reason that “Next Friday” and “Friday after Next” sucked like drinking a triple-thick milkshake through a straw.

And that Ladies and lone Gentleman, is my list! And I have more, but you know, gotta keep the mystery going. So what do you think? Don’t agree? Then feel free to show me yours, since I’ve already shown you mine! ;)

See You In Seven

7 comments:

Rum Punch said...

Not that I condone domestic violence, but one of my favorite parts in Godfather II is when Diane Keaton's character Kay is all, "It was an abortion Michael, an abortion.." And he smacks the shit out of her and knocks her down. DAYUM! And Robert Deniro just steals that whole movie without uttering a word in English.
You know I love The Five 'my office hours are from 9-5' Heartbeats! So many classic lines!

IntrospectiveGoddess said...

I concur with rum punch...The Five Heartbeats is the quintessential Black people movie....I also recommend the Best Man as a feel good romantic comedy, The Butterfly Effect, as good sci fi, and a Low Down Dirty Shame, Boomerang and Coming to America as good comedies...

Bellini said...

Amaretto your list is interesting. Don't agree with everything. You need to nix Godfather II, I will suffice. II begins to lose the sheen I had.
Yea, Rum Punch you're right-- "Nights like this.. Iiiiii wish...."-- but you gotta say it in that strung out/crack voice like he did.

And i agree with Introspective Goddess where is Best Man (Bellini was watching that last night)--hilarious.

Well, my favorite movie of all time ain't on the list (Boomerang, y'all!) so i was a lil' disappointed in your list.

Rum Punch said...

Bellini - You are hilarious- w/ your lose the sheen comment. You know I have to be contrary, I like Godfather II better than I. I mean please believe I is good with Brando & James Caan (poor Sonny) and the horse in the bed. But II has the background story, Deniro shows how the Corleones rise to the top (and when he gets his revenge back in the old country-awesome!), the Cuba history, taking over Vegas, killing Fredo, smacking the shit outta Kay. Oh it has it all! On another note, we all know your love for Boomerang. LOL!

Amaretto said...

Okay Okay Okay Ladies! The 5 Heartbeats was on the movies Black People should see under the category of "Very Very Excellent, the Should Stop Making Movies Now." But my listing was again, just a tip of the iceberg.

@Rum, yes I know how you feel about the 5 Heartbeats. And I hope you weren't offended that Dreamgirls wasn't my musical...

@Introspective Goddess: I love the Best Man. And Coming to America was also in the number on another list. I've never seen the Butterfly Effect, but I think Ashton is a cutie so really I don't know why I haven't.

@Bellini: I don't give two rats buttocks about Boomerang. That movie didn't even make it on the "I ain't got nothing else to do on a Saturday list". I kid. I kid. But not really. And how dare you speak ill against Godfather II, it gives the history. Didn't we just discuss how important history is on Sunday? Girl!

Rum Punch said...

@ Amaretto - Girl, I wasn't hardly offended about Dreamgirls because The Wiz is my musical. Of course Diana Ross should not have been casted (damn her relationship w/ Gordy), and that whole underground NYC scene was weid but it was still full of magic! Ease on down the road, when Michael Jackson was Black, Lena Horne looking fabulous, and the scene at the Wiz's palace-gold is gold! I love it!

Bellini said...

@Rum Punch & Amaretto: silly-nillys-- ya's affinity for violence is a lil' scary. I think I could have done without him smackin' the shit out of Diane Keaton aka Kay like that.

And yes, you guys know I'm a history buff and that's the only redeeming quality of II -- the history of Cuba! Hold on Fidel, Bellini is coming! (LOL)

@everyone else: being a history buff and all i must share -- Godfather II does demonstrate the US government's vision for Cuba vis-a-vis Havana, but your boy Fidel had others plans -- viva la revolucion! Gangsta, indeed.