WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Gooooo Team!

Now that I am a grown up girl thrown into the working world I’m subjected to do stuff on teams. Blah blah bluck to teamwork! I’m an only child, I can work quietly by myself, coloring in the lines and whistling whilst I work. Oh, but sometimes working in teams can just seem like a waste of life! I know teamwork is necessary and people are communal. No one person and do it all by their lonesome. But, some things should not take as long as they do. Not saying that I am a wham, bam, thank you ma’am, get your cash on your way out-type of person. But seriously, how long should it take to determine who our new water cooler supplier is going to be? In my mind one person could have scouted out some suppliers, thrown together a brief spreadsheet with cost comparisons, conferred with one other person about who it was going to be (which I did). End. Of. Story. Water Cooler breaks for all!

But Noooooo! I work for the government. I work with other people who are older, but not necessarily wiser, and maybe they enjoy wasting time because they will be retiring soon and very soon. And I guess it’s better to look busy than to actually be busy. But can I just say that we have been working on our water issue since February! There was snow on the ground and now it’s hot! I’ve already told them who would be the most beneficial (read: cheapest) but I’m under thirty so what do I know…and maybe it isn’t that I could be some of these people’s child, maybe these folks want to drag things on and on and on and on…the cipher keeps moving like a rolling stone.

And so
I’m screaming on the train with Rum because this can not be my life for the next 30 years! Or even the next 3 years!

But since it is my life for the now, come share in my pain…

In January our regular water supplier decided to throw up their deuces because having water coolers is a thing of the past and they wanted to just distribute 24 packs of water to the world. So, since people in my office still gather around the water cooler to discuss the latest and greatest thing to happen on American Idol, there was a need to keep the good times rolling. So I got my Google on, read some things, threw an Excel spreadsheet together and determined a winner, because back then I was just promoted. But they weren’t ready for that level of initiative so….

First a meeting was called and brainstorming commenced-I really don’t recall the particulars of this meeting because I was perfecting my poodle doodle on my note pad.

Then a few of my co-“workers” volunteered to head up the water probing expedition and they drafted me to be on the team. Yay, I wasn’t picked last! But think Lewis and Clark with me playing the role of
Sacajawea.

Then I bring to my team my fact findings and lay them at their feet. They pat me on my head and say good job and send me on my way.

Then another meeting is scheduled to update the department on water. My team lead states that we have been diligent with our efforts, but still have not been able to secure a supplier or a contract. Hmmm. Okay. If only that were true, I muse as I doodle a duck to play with my poodle near a pond on my note pad.

And that ladies and gentleman is where we are today…in June! I think another meeting is scheduled for July…and as you can see I’m typing a blog whilst I drink a Micky D’s Sweet tea at my desk…

For the most part teamwork has always left a bad taste in my mouth. Think sour milk on wheat germ cereal. Because either the team slows you up by holding you down…or they don’t do a darn thing to contribute to your work and effort! But they are first smile for the accolades. Either way I have yet to be part of a team that didn’t leave me frustrated in the process. Is it me?
Ha ha ha. Bless my soul.

Or is it everyone else?

See You In Seven

6 comments:

[flahy] [blak] [chik] said...

All of those meetings for just water? LOL

I used to tell people from the door, I am not a teamplayer. Whenever a team is involved @ work, it's always a long drawn out process. Give me a task, and I'll be better off doing it on my own. From working in the gov't, people are so hell bent on process and procedures for everything! Even in college, team/group projects! Blah! Hated them. Like you said, there is always someone not doing their part and holding the team back.

I'm happy at the point in my career now, I work solo. I make my own deadlines, and meet my own deadlines...my team includes me, myself & I. If something goes wrong, I can only blame myself.

Rum Punch said...

LOL! LOL! I love it! Not, teamwork, your post! Question: What will you draw at your July meeting to accompany your poodle and duck? Maybe little ducks following their mama, or a V of geese flying above, or the old fisherman on a little wooden boat, fishing for his supper...

Anonymous said...

Oh...my...GAWD! This sounds just like a situation I'm in at work. And I believe that yes, my age (29), plays into it, and I'm trying my damnedest to think that my dark chocolate skin is the reason that folks will not just let me DO MY DAMN JOB. Instead, we call meeting after meeting after meeting to only end up reaching the conclusion I suggested, you guessed it! Months ago!

Whew! Thanks for letting me
(1) de-lurk
(2) vent

Anonymous said...

Straight out of college, every job I have had requires that I work on a team. The project will never get done if we don't work in teams. I guess I have just accepted that the fact that projects take longer. And to be honest I don't sweat it anymore because those folks are held accountable by the man their contributions when the project is late or over budget.

Still working on the amount of meetings I have to attend.

mint julep said...

it seems inevitable that there is always a weak link on a team, especially at work, cause MF'ers don't be wanting to work. they just want to have you do all the heavy lifting.

but teams can be beneficial and tis why i generally like working on teams cause i can learn something from those who are more knowledgeable.

Amaretto said...

@ FB Chick: LOL! No, our meetings weren’t ‘clusively abut water. But the fact that it was an agenda item… *sigh* I won’t eve get into those college group projects! Oh the horror! But I’m glad you’ve paid your dues and are enjoying soaring solo.

@ Rum: Hmmmm. For the July meeting, I Amaretto Jenkins Monet will commission Doodle the Poodle and Doodle Duck at the Pond running from the Stick People Family!

Heeeeey i.l.l.! Hello! And Welcome! I just want you to know that you have a friend in the trenches with ya! Do you think we should call a meeting to discuss? Start thinking about getting others to join our cause…maybe start a team of sorts?

@Mjr-Bnx: Boooooooo! Who are you? You don’t sweat it because those folks (da lazy ones) are held accountable? Who? What? When? And Where? I’d say, occasionally that’s true. But more often than not a team blankets the flaws of others and very rarely is their behavior corrected.

@Mint: Tis true that teams can be beneficial and really if you aren’t learning from others who are you learning from. BUT I’m just saying at this point in my life I haven’t see the ultimate benefits of teamwork. I mean it sounds good in theory, but in execution not so much. Think…Communism or building a fence across the Mexican border.