WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Staying Tuned!

So I have decided that I am going to be one of those parents who doesn’t allow her children to watch television. I know. I know. I must be crazy right? Especially being a person who is 1) cable deprived and 2) can spend an entire Saturday afternoon in Rum Punch’s basement watching a Real Housewives (insert whatever city here) marathon (of course Rum Punch is out living her life and therefore isn’t there). I mean I remember actually snickering at the girl in my Spanish class who had no television in her house. She was such a weird-4.0 having, Harvard University on a full scholarship, sneaking to watch MTV at her friend’s house, probably rich as sh*t now-girl.

I mean I love television ya’ll. But I think
children born after the great 80s have difficulty understanding that what they see on TV is not real, it’s for entertainment only! That for the most part, life ain’t like that even if it’s classified as reality. My coworker was talking about how her 12 year old sister got upset that she only got $40 to shop with at the mall. We are talking upset to the point that she threw a fit and was calling people names. Say what? Does this child know what I can do with $40? Can we say lunch for week, or a few new shirts at Target! But I ask what a 12 year old needs $40 for? And maybe my parents thought the same when I asked for the $20 that I spent on a movie ticket, some ice cream maybe something from Mickey D’s. And I’m almost sure I came back with change…I never said that it wasn’t enough. But we are in a recession now…

I guess in the world of My Sweet 16 and the Suite Life of Zack and Cody…showing these young folks faking like they earned the money they spend like the rich and fabulous; it’s hard for the young and impressionable viewer to realize that it ain’t their money…but the parents. I really don’t know because I am neither a psychologist or a parent. but I do feel like violence will ensure if my child looks at me sideways because I won’t allow them to have their way with my credit card. In my mind I can see how it’s just easier to let television working its soothing mind numbing magic.

But after watching an episode of
RuPaul’s Drag Race…which I found to be oh, so hilarious! And secretly I can’t wait to see the next episode. It blows my mind to think how a medium that once portrayed the likes of the Cosby kids less than 3 decades ago, has now expanded to show the fabulous thoughts and feelings of a Ms. BeBe Zahara Benet! You betta work it “girl”!

I don’t know ya’ll, I shudder to think about what our youngins will be exposed to in the years to come… Well actually I am shuddering more at the thought that maybe…they won’t be able to recognize reality from good ole entertaining fiction. But as a girl who loves tv but also enjoyed playing with cardboard boxes, I hope that there can be some sort of balance…so no one has to be that weird totally clueless kid in the class.


See You In Seven

1 comment:

Courvoisier said...

I am with you on that one Amaretto. Just recently my little sister reminded me that we weren’t allowed to watch TV during the week while school was opened. Somehow I seemed to have blocked that out of my childhood memories. I know we watched TV but I totally blocked out the reason why. I just remember getting home from some after school activity (sports, music, drama, community service, etc) and going straight for the radio and a book after dinner. I guess that explains some of my patterns as an adult after work. Looking back I really don’t feel as if I missed anything or missing anything now that I don’t watch TV as much as others. My sister on the other hand has a grudge for those years, whereas I think our parents groomed us to be the women that we are now.

It would be one thing if there was more substance on TV than junk but unfortunately that is not the case. I think I am going to have to take it ole school just like my mom, no TV on week nights for the kiddies. Forget about TVs in their rooms. We will have to work it out… more parent/child time! YIPEY! (chuckle)