WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Monday, August 3, 2009

Is this a Conference / Booty Call?

- You tell me C?
Chillin' with a few friends and the topic of the show Mad Men comes up. For those of you who have never heard of this AMC show, the show is...
"Set in New York City, Mad Men begins in 1960 at the fictional Sterling Cooper
advertising agency on New York City's Madison Avenue. The show centers on
Don Draper (Jon Hamm), the agency's creative director, and the people in his
life in and out of the office. It also depicts the changing social mores of
1960s America."
...according to Wikipedia.
Usually when the topic of this show comes up I tune it out because I don't regularly watch the show but I have seen a few episodes. Anyway, so a friend mentions that it is so interesting to watch the show because she can't believe how people behaved in the workplace and thank god there are laws to prohibit that sexual type of behavior. At this is point, I cue the perplexed look on my face... like are you serious?
Okay, I will give you the smoking indoors bit... but the flirting and the inappropriate under breath comments have gone nowhere. Sometimes I feel like I am a mute, conservative nun at my job. I won't even comment on the dress code and how at least once a week I have to give someone the side eye. But as far as gossip around the microwave of who hooked up with who at the holiday party, please!
I once, heard a Director say to a lady who was on the floor fixing something, "I always knew that one day this job would bring you to your knees... hahaha" Hahaha? Still waiting for the punch line buddy. Not to mention the fresh out of college chickens who believe flashing their ta-tas and asking for something in a high pitched voice guarantees them a "Yes!" If you ask me nothing has changed working at an ad agency in the new millennium. We are just not as out spoken with it because of those laws.
Can't really speak for other areas of business... did he really just chase her down, pin her to the floor to win a bet on what color panties she was wearing?


Much luv until next week... peace:)

No comments: