WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Thursday, October 4, 2007

The appeal of Clifford Harris, Jr. (or why girls like dope boys)

Over the weekend I spent some time with my auntie and she got me to thinking…why do girls like dope boys? Context: I’d been catching her up on my life and somehow I let slip that I knew women who had dated guys who had or presently did sell drugs for a living.

Of course, auntie was completely aghast at my revelations. As I sat across from her I became cognizant of my own non-aghastedness (note: I tend to make up words so get used to it). Sadly, the drug-selling boyfriend trope has become a permanent fixture in my mind such that having a relationship with someone who could put you up on some work (and I don’t mean a 9-5) no longer surprises me. Hell, even I had once dated someone who, from time to time, sold a dime bag or two, tho he surely smoked up twice as much as he sold.

But auntie got me to thinking, what is the appeal? Viewing it as an older, wiser 26 yo, I have to wonder, what was/is wrong with us such that we aren't the least bit fazed by bedding down with the neighborhood dope boy? Didn’t our parents raise us to be good lil' middle class BAPS? So then why do some of us gravitate toward the T.I.’s of this world? Note: I've been known to not-so-secretly lust after errr... appreciate the music of T.I. I don’t know what it is....Ok I do I do, I do, I doo-ew hence this post. Thuglove bay bay!

need I say more? mmmm…tasty!
It’s that sexy-as-hell ghetto snare, lookin at you like bring yo ass over here right now! Deep inside is a heart of gold that makes you melt and come with a quickness to anywhere he wants you to be. And ok, it's the money, too. You know the cliché: Every girl wants a bad boy. Yet there in lies the problem -- every girl wants that boy but ladies enough! Once you celebrate your 21st birthday, you gotta grow up and get a grown ass man up-in-through yo situation...let that dope boy go!

I know, I know, I myself used to be drawn to the bad boy but trying to make that thug yo huzband is not the business. He really can't do much more than give you money and dick you down every once in a while. You can't take him round your office collegues, he might show up in girbaud jeans and a long white tee. That might be sexy in private but how do you explain his profession to your White (and Black) work homies? Can you say he got his degree in dopeboyalogy with a straight face?

Seriously tho, it’s so not cute to be sitting up all times a night wondering if he's been shot or locked up. And you can forget about changing him cause he won't easily switch to more legal employment since it don't bring the fast money and he'll probably say it's "lame." So you’re stuck with a dude that can’t fully function in society outside of the crime world, who you can't take nowhere and whose "profession" seriuosly threatens your safety. Ok i'm being slightly dramatic but somewhere in the last 3-5 years, I realized there really is no appeal to to the dobeboy (except the sexiness that is T.I. but Tiny got that on lock & she'll cut a bitch for even looking at her man).

*mint julep wipes away a tear, as she looks around for her regular, grown ass man*

2 comments:

Dark & Stormy said...

Besides me finding T.I. super sexy, I can definitely relate... It made me think of the Outkast song SpottieOttieDopalicious- when they talk about "can't gamble feeding baby on that dope money, might not always be sufficient".

mint julep said...

girl yes! rum punch reminded me of the rest.... "the united parcel service or dem people at the post office didn't call you back because you had cloudy piss, so now you back in the trap just that, trapped!"