WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Thursday, June 26, 2008

politricks as usual

I’ve never been much into politics, especially not on the national level. I could get down with the local race for mayor and followed the city council elections with some level of enthusiasm. I’ve even canvassed for my next door neightbor as she tried in vain to get elected to the school board. But national politcs....mehhh.

My disdain for national politics stem from my experiences during college as an intern for a United States Representative out of Decatur, GA. Growing up I’d always thought that this sista was so regal with her plaits, so dedicated to helping the folks back home while she tolled on the Hill. During my first visit to Washington in grade school, I bypassed a visit with my own Whitey McWhiterson Representative and sought her out, delighted to shake her hand and get my picture taken with her.

So when I heard about a slot opening up in her district office, I jumped at the opportunity to be a part of her team. But what I got was a rude awakening to the realities of national poltical office. I was assigned to answer phones and direct constituents to the appropriate staff member who could handle their concerns. Let me tell you those phones rang off the hook non-stop all day every day! People called in about any and every thing: my son was picked up last night on drug charges, I ain't got no hot water in my house, my street been flooded for 5 days straight, when is the trash man coming...what could and would Ms. Representative do about it? I quickly realized the more appropriate query was what SHOULD Ms. Representative do about all these people calling her when she was not the appropriate person or agency to be contacting about these concerns?

Ms. Representative needed at least 5 more interns like me just to answer phones in order to adequately field all the calls from folks who lived in her district because it took about 30 minutes to get through each call: 10 minutes to patiently listen to the person tell you their live story and all their problems, 5 mintues to explain to them that actually Ms. Representative was a NATIONAL public servant and therefore she could NOT help you with your city or county problems, and the last 15 minutes tracking down the contact information for the appropriate person or agency that could be of assistance. Plus I never even got to see Ms. Representative the whole 6 months I worked there.

You could say I came away from that experience feeling a little jaded about national poltics. Granted Ms. Reprsentatetive was a great woman and a dynamic speaker who could really get things done in Washington but her ability to get those things to trickle down to the local level and influence the lives of every day people in her district in a meaningful way were slim to none. Her concerns were about national wars, party politics and compromises within the CBC while Ms. Mae on the block just wanted a new storm drain so her street wouldn’t flood every time it rained. I realized the best way to help Ms. Mae was on the local level, someone who could actually move things along toward a solution.

So color me surprised when during this national election cycle I found myself enthralled with the Democratic presidential primary. I didn’t really know much about Obama until he won Iowa. I’d slept through that "one America" mumbo jumbo and figured Hillary Clinton was it but after Iowa and Obama's breakout showing there, I perked up and took notice. Actually did some research on all of the candidates AND the issues. I even got involved, traveled to Philly to canvass for the O man, argued with collegues and family members about the issues and started reading as many political blogs as my usual fashion, music and gossip ones.

Maybe it was the excitement of the times, the chance to beat a smug white woman (emphasis on smug), or the idea that a Black person just might show these whiteys and beat them at they own game but I was all in. Now, not so much. I’ve come down off my election high. In large part because I always kept central in my mind that no matter that he is black (or half or whatever), no matter that he sells this hope change positivity trifecta like its goin out of style, no matter that I’m claiming a spot on somebody’s floor in DC come January cause I will be there to witness history, I still remember that he’s a national politician (emphasis on both). He's susceptible to all manner of politricks, manipulation and game playing, we already see it. You see, despite his protestations to the contrary, he can’t be responsive to the little issues, the things that matter most in folks lives. The most we can hope for is that he stays at least 50% true to his ideals and ushers in a crop of folks on all levels of government who will be responsive to our needs.

Or we can take the the streets and let la revolucion begin! I'm down for that.

4 comments:

Dark & Stormy said...

That is a great picture! I have been riding the O train for quite some time and one of my main arguments against Clinton's mention of O's lack of experience is that it won't really effect my life in the grand scheme of things. No President works alone... They have a cabinet full of advisors in addition to Congress to keep this machine called U.S.A. running. And I know better than to think Obama in the White House will suddenly turn my life into peaches and cream.

I think that voters' participation in local politics is more important than national. The President cannot fix the streetlight on my block, enforce a sex education curriculum in my child's school, or lower my property taxes. Those are the type of issues that directly affect my daily life. There are so many people who only vote once every four years who are doing themselves and their communities an injustice.

This current presidential election can also serve as a reminder of the "power" of the local politician. How many superdelegates are locally elected officials?

Bellini said...

cynicism is politics is alive and well... you are not alone by feeling jaded with the US political system, however i too was a congressional intern and i received the opposite experience.. my internship was an eye opener.. the savvy, patience required to answer constituent phone calls that inudated the office, the wife of a US Representative had to call the scheduler and have her pencil in a child's birthday in to his official calendar so he would be home in time to sing happy birthday; there are the duties in your district and your duties in the corridors of power and at times both conflict; and with the single mindedness of the American people do you jump on what's hot (i.e. opposed to same-sex marriages) 'cuz you know hands down you'll win re-election and do articulate your position are controversial issues on bank that your voters will be receptive to that? And as Americans are cynics about career politicians, you must note that it takes a US Representative at least 5 terms (10 yrs.) before he can utilize his burgeoning leverage and a US Senator 3 terms (18 years) and when voters exhibit their single mindedness there's K street open and willing to pay you handsomely for all that coveted time and perhaps finally you can have the decent life with your family without the circus of Capitol Hill... And so with everyone quick to judge the O man put somethings in perspective,

Rum Punch said...

But I think that's what Mint Julep has done- pu things into perspective. She is realizing that Obama can't be all things to all people. There will be compromises there will be changes in position, etc., etc. And so she has tempered her enthusiasm with the reality of the situation...I think anyway...

mint julep said...

@D&S, exactly! folks need to be more involved in the local elections. i think you hit the nail on the head.

@Bellini, i think you outlined even more of the pulls on the national politician's time than i did...having to be reminded of a child's birthday? wowsers. i understand the tremendous pulls on the nat'l pol, including obama and my point is that folks shouldn't look solely to him as a saving grace but need get engaged in local politics and do things themselves as well.

@Rum Punch, i think i think...you're right. lol.