WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

An Apology to the Old and Pregnant

So I’m doing my part to save the planet by riding the bus to work. Okay let me be honest, I’ve been riding mass transit since before it became the fashionable thing to do, but since being ashy is now classy…I’ve gone green! Go Captain Planet! Anyways I’ve noticed a great influx of folks showing their bus passes these days and things have gotten extremely crowded on the chariot, to the point that bus drivers refuse to move until folks “get back, get back!” But something is going on in this here great land of America; because among the people who are standing up in the aisle for their dear lives are the elderly and the pregnant. All while menfolk listen to their iPods and read Decency for Dummies, never once offering their seat!

Now I will admit that I, Amaretto Jenkins have this lingering idea that able bodied men are supposed to move for women.
Now is this a lie someone has told me? Maybe. But I just can’t subscribe to the notion that the men, who at times are teens, in their twenties, or old like McCain weren’t taught how to be a stand up guy. I say this because I have men in my family who know better and showed me through their actions what I should expect from the opposite sex. Or even because you will never see this D-cup gal burning or even going without a bra, because I’s a lady. But I feel that women who lived through the Great Depression and ones who are about to birth a baby deserve a little preferential treatment…not just from the fellas, but from everybody.

But…the fellas should be first to bust a move.

I’m sorry, I feel some type of way about giving up my seat to somebody’s granny while I’m trying to balance in the aisle with 3 inch heels, my newspaper, and the satchel I like to call a purse… when Mister and the Gang are all sitting there watching me teeter and tauter.

I just can’t help but wonder what is going on? Like Hip-Hop, is respect between the genders also dead? I have these expectations of basic decency from men, yet I’m actually surprised when I come across some who actually met them. Last week I was telling Rum Punch about how this young man opened and closed his car door for me and that I was truly impressed. She basically hurricaned on my whole zeal parade by stating that that’s what he was supposed to do. True. She had a point. But I have a few male friends who are all about the Dutch experience. And since I’m able bodied I can open my own door, kill my own spider, and pump my own gas, he'll just sit and wait for me to finish. I don’t know, but I will say that it was nice to live like it was still 1948 and we were just coming home from the drive-in. To be a woman respected and not have to be
the woman who is strong enough to do it all by herself, hear me roar!

I just feel like I should be someone’s partner in this thing call life, an equal if you will. And when I’m old or pregnant I feel like I should be taken care of, not just by my family but by my community. But seeing how folks be acting today woe to me then. Hopefully I’ll have someone in my employ to drive me around everywhere I need to go. Otherwise I need to brace myself for the pain and embarrassment of falling down on the bus, and nobody caring enough to move.

Ouch!

See You in Seven

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right. I see the same thing on the bus here in Chicago. I don't understand were that changed. Even I was taught if someone older than you wants to sit down 'get yo ass up!'

Sometimes it takes everything in me not to say something to these men I see sitting there asses down like they don't see old folk or pregnant women. It's annoying to see what the future has in store for us.

I think it should be a 'get yo ass up rule' on the bus...lol

Rum Punch said...

Yes, it's like every man for himself now. Or I guess every old woman and pregnant lady for herself. I have seen a few men standing by empty seats on the train which I think is very kind. But sometimes men are the first ones to knock you over for a seat! And you're like wait a minute!! But I guess since we are all "equals", we are all supposed to equally stand on our own two. Booo!

Anonymous said...

I give up my seat for the elderly and visibly pregnant women on the train/subway. (Even after this encounter)

One time I noticed a very pregnant woman and offered her my seat--this is the exchange:
MrsMeany: would you like to sit?
Pregnant Chick: well, I AM 9 months pregnant...
MM: so, that's a "yes" then?

This older black lady who was sitting nearby looked at me & quietly laughed because she saw that I was annoyed at this woman's nasty response & how she was acting like she was entitled to MY damn seat. I gave this rude chick my seat anyway. It was winter and I didn't realize that she was NINE MONTHS pregnant under her big ass down jacket...sorry! (I don't get on the train inspecting all women for "baby bumps"! How am I to know how far along she was? Is she KIDDING ME?) She could have just said "Yes, thanks" when I offered her the seat. Mind you, she didn't even say THANK YOU after I got up!!

I don't know WHY this 1 minute exchange bothered me so much, but it did for some reason...I take the PATH train to NY every day and have a thick skin about things, but here I was trying to be nice & decent and she was being STANK about it when there were other people on the train who didn't even offer her a seat...I chalked it up to her hormones wildin' out and kept it moving.

Another "train story": a woman offered another woman a seat that she THOUGHT was pregnant...(uh oh, you KNOW where this is going!!!)
The "pregnant" chick was like: "I'M NOT PREGNANT!" as she rubbed her muffin top...

Dark & Stormy said...

I feel you Amaretto! As someone who has never owned a car, I've seen my fair share of public transit etiquette, and lack thereof.

There have been many times, as Rum Punch mentioned, when a man has damn near knocked me over to try and board the bus or get to a seat before me. It happened last week... I politely dug my elbow into his ribcage and used his foot as a step stool to board the bus. Then I said as loudly as possible "thank you for being such a GENTLEMAN!!!"

I ain't havin it. It disgusts me how these men watch the elderly folk get on the bus and don't blink a damn eye. I'm quick to call them out too... "Hello, do you see this woman/man needs a seat. What the hell are you still sitting for?" has come out of my mouth on several occasions.

It's ridiculous that our society has come to this but I ain't havin it.

mint julep said...

i suggest mandatory manners classes for everyone.