WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Friday, June 27, 2008

Walk Like A Man

The other day whilst my granny was making a tall pitcher of lemonade and the bad news of the day was blaring in the background, I said to her, “Remember when men took care of their families.”

“Uh huh,” she said.
“What happened,” I asked.
“These men getting sorrier and sorrier,” she said matter of factly.

Hmmm…A simple answer to a complex question that is debated in the academic world, the blogsphere, and black folks’ living rooms across the land. It’s the question in the front of our minds and on the tip of our tongues: what happened to us? What happened to our Black men?

The truth is people like revisionist history. Christopher Columbus discovered America. Slavery really wasn’t that bad. The trail of tears was just a little walk. The Japanese internment camp was like a summer retreat. And apparently before crack, the Vietnam War and the corrupt welfare system Black men were the shit. And now they ain’t shit. Or that is what so many people think, say, breathe and live on a daily basis.

When we get past the finger pointing, or the blaming the white man, or the educated explanation of the emasculation of black men, or the ills of integration, I think it’s safe to admit that something happened in our community. A breakdown happened. A change in values happened. A culture change happened. We can discuss the reasons ad nauseum, but what I find interesting is that when people think back on the Black community, the days before integration (and even shortly after) there seems to have been a lot of good there. People reminisce about men coming home to their families, men being a constant presence in the community, men teaching their sons how to be men.

This is not to say that there was no bad. This is not to say that men didn’t abandon their families, or beat their wives, or have affairs, or impregnate women before vows and wedding bands were exchanged, or gamble the rent money, but this is to say that it seems that some core values have eroded. It's like we lost some pieces along the way to a better life. I know I’m not the only one who loves an older black man, a church going, amen saying, Deacon Johnson who wears a fresh suit and a brim hat tilted to the side, who nods his head and smiles at you and says, “how you doin’ sweetie,” as he holds the door open or helps you with your package. I wonder what will happen when that generation is gone. I feel like they will take so much with them when they leave: a true work ethic, integrity, and manners, to name a few.

Story time (Y'all know I always have a story): Back in the day a female family member got pregnant by a man she was “dating,” a soldier passing through town. So y’all know I’m using the term dating real loosely. Well a shotgun wedding proceeded. And they decided to have that one child and raise her and love her together. Well one grown child with a PhD, a husband, and two kids later, they are still married. Now some might view this as noble, some archaic, but contrast it with a young man I met last night who was with his girlfriend for two years before she got pregnant, the baby is now a year old, and they just live together. And he’s talking about he doesn’t want to get married until he’s ready to support a family. Excuse me? I think that’s the definition of putting the cart before the horse. When looking at these two situations, what I see is a man who was willing to sacrifice his plans for his life because he was a part of bringing another life into this world vs. a man who wants to cling to the life of a bachelor. What I see is acknowledging the reality of a situation then stepping up and taking personal responsibility vs. a it ain't my fault things happen in life kind of attitude.

As I settle into adulthood I have learned that I have a very different definition of manhood from a lot of people. I value character and substance over flash and cash. I have had some great men in my life who have shown me how a man is supposed to behave. But what about those who haven’t been as fortunate? What does manhood mean to them? How does manhood look to them? Who is teaching them how to be men? I remember watching a documentary some time ago on young black men in gangs. And the young man who couldn’t have been more than 18 years old said, “Our generation died when our fathers were born.” Damn. He was talking about a generation without fathers. A generation without men in the community. A generation that was already gone. I remember when I was in Philly watching a news piece about a shooting in the neighborhood. And people were standing in a prayer circle and the woman said, “We pray for the mothers, daughters, grandmothers, aunts, cousins…” I stopped cold because there was no mention of fathers, grandfathers, or uncles. What had been commonplace in my life was abstract in theirs. And this saddens me. Because my reality blends with their reality and forms, well, reality. And I can't ignore that. I can't put my experience above or over theirs.

I don’t write this thinking that all black men ain’t shit. Believe me I know better. I know there are great men out here. And I don’t write this thinking that there is no hope and that things are bleak. And I don't write this saying that if you ain't marry the mother of your child, you ain't a man. I know you take care of your kids. But I do wonder how it will be 50 years from now when God willing I’m reminiscing with my grandchildren about the community that I grew up in. As our key values continue to disappear, as we hear reports about 70% of Black children being born to single parent households, as I meet so many men with baby mamas and not wives who seem allergic to the mere thought and concept marriage, as these little hip hop youngins’ become the heroes of today and "old man" Andre 3000 has to school them in verse, what will I say about the men? What significance will they have played in my life? When I look back and share my stories, I want them to be honest, and I know there will be some ugly and some bad, but I hope there's a whole lot more good. So I pray that all the granddaddies, daddies, uncles and Deacon Johnsons out there are passing the torch to somebody, teaching what they know and ensuring that we'll have some warriors. Some men.

That’s my time y’all! Happy Rum Punch Friday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice, I felt this whole post on alot of different levels. Esp the part about what will happen when the older black male generation departs this life. Ya'll should check out the documentary that came out last summer "what black men think" and the website.
It really breaks down alot of what has lead us up to this point and it shatters quite a few sterotypes alot of black folk have internalized about ourselves.
It makes me sad sometimes when I ponder that state of our race.
Why can't we just love and help one another get thru this life, cause I've found in the words of Sade, no matter how painful it can sometimes be, "its only love that gets you thru".

Your Favorite Teacher said...

Ouch... I do believe that the black community, as a whole, is improving. I think it is unfair to cast the issues you mention as being specific to black men. I think some men of all races are guilty of the same crimes in a manner that is similar to the crimes perpetuated by some women. Race, in my opinion, should not be a consideration in the stereotyping of male behavior (or any behavior for that matter.) When we stereotype we fall into the same traps that have held up socities progress in elminating racial and racist thinking.

Glad I found this blog. I will be back for my daily cocktail

Rum Punch said...

@ anon- Thanks for your comments! I will check out the website!

@zackory - Welcome to the 5 where stereotypes and generalizations abound! I see where you're going and I'll take that walk with you. You're right it shouldn't just be Black men "man up", it should be all men "man up." And while I do think we have made progress in a lot of areas, I think we have fallen down in others. Um and maybe men of all races have fallen down in other places, but honestly, I put more energy into the Black race and community. Maybe it's the cynic or realist in me that believes racism will always be here. Hope you come back!

mint julep said...

hmmm how come we always writing bout the good times gone bye bye. hip hop is dead, r&b just don't move and groove us the way it used to, and our black men have lost the dignified manhood that they once held? i think there definitely has been a falling off of black men (and women) in the morals values categories but it's interesting to me when i talk to my grandma and she talks about how she said the same things about my mama's generation. this is not quite as clear as i'd like it to be but it's early on a saturday and i'm in class so forgive me.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

all i can say is that i try to be and walk and live and talk as a man
i hope u and others, especially my kids think i am

The Breaking Point said...

With all due respect, your grandmother's answer grossly oversimplifies a complex issue. It also absolves women of responsibility for the place they find themselves as head of their families.

To be sure, men who don't take care of their families are about as sorry as sorry can be. That begs the question, though, of why women keep chosing them. I'd be interested to get her take on that. Or yours.

I think if men are getting sorrier and sorrier, so, too, are women. This isn't abstract, by the way. The fact is that 70 per cent of African American children are born to single mothers. Put another way and to do draw a fine point on it, seven of every 10 black women who give birth are unmarried.

Am I to understand that all of these women are being tricked into getting pregnant or carrying their children to term?

Anonymous said...

I think breaking point aka, Lord Hannibal raised a very good point we should also evaluate or discuss a woman's role in the perpetuation of the actions of some sorry ass men today.....We all are affected so we all in some way are to blame

IntrospectiveGoddess