WE ARE: 5 women navigating our twenties in search of peace, happiness and love (or not). WE WRITE: about everything and nothing. From the insane to the mundane- you will find different paths taken, lessons learned and lives lived. WE THINK: you’ll enjoy it...Warning: Consumption of these views may leave you enlightened while intoxicated.

SO LONG, FAREWELL...

The View From Here will conclude on Friday, October 1, our third year anniversary. We would like to spend this month thanking all of our readers, followers, haters, visitors, family, friends, and fans for your continued support, encouragement, and comments over these past few years. Thanks y'all!
-The Five Spot

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

the tail end of a saga

I represent less than 2.5% of the population, call me naive, but I didn't think he did it. Now whether he knew who did it -- is another story. But as the late, great Johnnie Cochran said " if it doesn't fit, you must acquit"! So the fact of "...the combination of bloody gloves that didn't fit, a cop lying in court and forensics expert Henry Lee testifying to finding "something wrong" with the collection of evidence provided enough reasonable doubt for acquittal (courtesy of Hartford Courant)." End of story... well not quite.

So, after 13 years-- Lawd i tend not to be superstitous, but the omen was there I guess-- he was found guilty of armed robbery and kidnapping. Oh, Orenthal James Simpson -- The Juice, aka OJ--what has befallen you? I really don't know what to say.

I was in middle school lying on the living room floor, the night of the chase. I remember it like yesterday. Talking to my best friend, trying to figure out why the LAPD are chasing a white Bronco all across LA's freeway. Holding my breath, not knowing if the cops were trigger happy and were going to shoot...Little did I know the chase was the beginning, not the end of the story.

And so when the news out of Las Vegas broke out about the beseiged NFL star, journalist Stan Simpson of the Hartford Courant captured my sentiments best, "Many, like me, who were captivated by the murder trial, took a pass on following this Vegas misadventure. We're OJ-ed out. African Americans and whites could pretty much agree on this after L.A.: We wanted Simpson to fade to black." Yup, that about sums it up.

I reckon, some people like drama, strife, and all that ain't right in life. And I think OJ is one of them. So, farewell Orenthal James, you've been juiced out. So, raise your champagne glasses folks as we toast to the drama of our lives being over although he is appealing the verdict.

cheers,

Bellini

P.S. Damn, you know Johnnie is doing somersaults in the grave.

No comments: